Our go-to recipe for scones is as delectable as it is easy. To achieve a delicate crust and a soft, buttery inside, use a food processor for mixing and try to handle the dough as less as possible. Instead of rolling the dough with a rolling pin it’s better to pat it with your hands. This tea time treat tastes delicious with our homemade strawberry jam and clotted cream and can be easily varied by adding dried fruits or nuts.
You can download and print the recipe card for the scones at the end of this post.
Our Best Ever Scones Recipe
Scones taste best on the day they’re baked. You can also keep them in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Prep Time: 15 min
Baking Time: 10 – 12 min
Servings: 18 to 24 scones
Temperature: 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6
- 375 g (3 cups) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 100 g (7 tbsp) butter
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) whole milk
- additional flour for dusting
- kitchen scale or measuring cups and spoons
- food processor or a mixing bowl and fork
- baking tray (sheet)
- 5 cm (2 in) biscuit (cookie) cutter
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F / Gas Mark 6). Line two baking trays (sheets) with parchment paper.
2) Blend the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a food processor until the mixture looks like sand. Alternatively, mix the ingredients with a fork. Add the butter and process until the mix becomes crumbly. Pour in the milk and continue processing until the dough just comes together.
3) Dust the work surface with flour and pat the dough into a round disc that’s 3.5 cm (1 1/2 in) thick. Repeat this process until all dough is used. Cut into rounds with a cookie cutter dipped in flour and place them closely together on the baking trays (sheets). Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until risen and lightly golden.
4) Allow the scones to cool and serve with jam and clotted cream.
Click on the button to download the printable recipe card.
Thanks for stopping by
Thanks so much for visiting the Cottage Blog. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this article, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Country Hill Cottage
Share this post