See how to make easy egg muffins! Make-ahead frittata muffins are made with healthy and nutritious ingredients. The simply savoury breakfast muffin recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free, low carb and keto. These freezer-friendly cheese egg muffins are perfect for meal prep and a tasty snack and lunch box idea.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Easy egg muffins recipe – Healthy egg breakfast recipe
This easy egg muffins recipe is a perfect breakfast idea! My gluten-free breakfast muffins have so much going for them. In addition to being vegetarian frittata muffins that are also low carb and keto, they are made with nutritious ingredients and provide a healthy, filling breakfast, lunch or snack!
These mini make ahead frittatas are one of my favourite healthy egg breakfast recipes and an easy on-the-go breakfast. And, these keto frittata muffins are great egg muffins for kids. They’re portable, not messy, and everyone in my family loves them.
I wanted these delish breakfast egg cups to be vegetarian and flourless/gluten-free. They fill you up but won’t weigh you down. I love that that the broccoli egg mini muffins turned out so tasty and nourishing, just like a breakfast frittata should be.
Of course, with my easy egg muffins, you aren’t limited to breakfast. Serve them with a green salad for a light and healthy lunch, or as low carb snack throughout the day. This mini frittata recipe is also perfect for a picnic and makes a great addition to school lunch boxes.
How to make easy egg muffins – Low carb keto egg muffins recipe
These easy egg muffins aren’t just perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast. Egg casserole muffins are beyond simple to make too. Take a look at how to make frittata muffins:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F / 180°C / gas mark 4.
- Grease the muffin pan. Spray the cups of a 12-hole muffin pan/tin with cooking spray or brush lightly with olive oil.
- Heat oil. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet until it shimmers.
- Sauté vegetables. Add the broccoli and bell pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until soft. Remove from the stove and cool for 5 minutes.
- Make egg muffin batter. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the eggs, cooled fried vegetables and cheddar cheese. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Bake easy egg muffins. Pour the easy egg muffins mixture into the prepared muffin pan/tin and bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until set and golden around the edges.
- Cool breakfast muffin cups. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan/tin for 10 minutes. Take the muffins out of the pan/tin.
Easy egg muffins variations – More breakfast muffin cups
As always, you can make some adjustments to these gluten-free breakfast egg muffin cups to fit your preferences. Here are a few simple ideas to try when you make these vegetarian mini frittatas:
- spinach egg muffins – If you are a fan of spinach, swap 1 cup broccoli for 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach. They give a nice flavour to this breakfast egg cups recipe.
- sausage breakfast muffins – Stir 3/4 cup fried sausage into the muffin batter. You can also use bacon instead of sausage, or sprinkle some on top for extra crunch.
- breakfast egg muffins with hash browns – If the easy egg muffins don’t have to be keto or low carb, add some hash browns to the easy muffin recipe. It’s a great way to use leftovers and make your healthy breakfast muffins even better.
How do you know when make-ahead frittata muffins are done?
There are several ways to tell if the low carb savoury breakfast muffins are done:
- A toothpick inserted into the centre of the keto broccoli muffins should come out clean. If there is liquid on it, then the healthy toddler frittata muffins need to bake for a few minutes longer.
- The top of the low carb frittata muffins should spring back up when pushed with your fingertips. If it bounces right back up, then breakfast egg cups have finished baking.
- The easy egg muffins should have a golden colour on top.
- If the centre is still jiggly, the gourmet egg muffins probably need some more time.
Why do my egg muffins deflate or get soggy?
Egg muffins aren’t the same as traditional muffins with flour but more like mini frittatas. The eggs expand during baking and shrink down as the breakfast muffins cool. The texture and flavour are still delicious and nourishing.
One of the common reasons that easy egg muffins get soggy is that they need to be cooled all the way before you package them. If you put the frittata muffins away too quickly, condensation can form in the storage container, which leads to soggy muffins. It’s a good idea to line the storage container with a paper towel to absorb any moisture in the container.
How do you store frittata muffins?
Store the cooled gluten-free easy egg muffins inside of an airtight storage container. Keto muffins will last 3 to 4 days on the counter.
Can you freeze low carb easy egg muffins?
Can you freeze frittata muffins? Yes, absolutely you can freeze this keto egg muffin recipe. Bake the low carb egg muffins and allow them to cool on a wire rack. Then, place the cheese egg muffins in a freezer-safe bag or an airtight container. You can keep the make-ahead frittata muffins for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How do you reheat egg muffins?
Make ahead frittata muffins are perfect for meal prep and a quick, on the go breakfast. To thaw, place the easy egg frittata muffins on the counter or in the refrigerator overnight. If you want to eat the keto egg muffins warm, toss them in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds.
More healthy breakfast recipes
Since I know you love healthy breakfast ideas, I wanted to share some of my other favourite gluten-free breakfast recipes with you. Take a look at these breakfast meals:
- gluten-free blueberry muffins – You can never have too many options when it comes to delicious breakfast muffins.
- healthy pumpkin muffins – Perfect for autumn… or anytime you want a pumpkin breakfast.
- easy breakfast cookies – These gluten-free banana oatmeal breakfast cookies are a great way to start the day.
- ground beef casserole – You only need 20 minutes to prep this delicious, low carb breakfast.
- honey nut granola – A delicious granola recipe with honey and nuts.
Tools and supplies to make mini frittata muffins
Tab or click the links below to shop the products I used to make this healthy breakfast muffin recipe:
- skillet – You want to have a good quality skillet for this savoury muffin recipe.
- mixing bowls – For vegetarian mini frittatas and a million other recipes, I use this set of mixing bowls almost daily.
- muffin pan/tin – This muffin tray is perfect for baking all sorts of muffins and cupcakes.
Over to you!
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.