You’ll love our simple sugar cookies! Soft, light and sweetly vanilla – this is our go-to recipe for sugar cookies. These cookies taste delicious on their own and are perfect for any cookie decorating project as they will keep their shape quite well. To ensure the cookies keep their tender texture, watch them closely while baking. We prefer to use the seeds of a fresh vanilla pod, but you can use vanilla extract instead.
You can download and print the recipe card for the sugar cookies at the end of this post.
Simple Sugar Cookies Recipe
Store the cookies in an air-tight container for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month.
Prep Time: 45 min
Chilling Time: 30 min
Baking Time: 12 – 14 min
Servings: 30 – 40 cookies
Temperature: 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4
- 500 g (4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 225 g (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter,
- 150 g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- the seeds of one fresh vanilla pod or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- kitchen scale or measuring cups and spoons
- hand-held or stand mixer with the paddle attachment
- rubber spatula
- cling film (plastic wrap)
- rolling pin
- cookie cutter of your choice
- wax (greaseproof) paper or baking (parchment) paper or a non-stick baking mat
- baking tray (sheet)
- cooling rack
1. Sift the flour and set aside. In a large bowl of a stand or hand-held mixer, cream the butter, sugar, vanilla seeds and the salt until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until blended. Gradually add the flour until just combined. If the dough seems crumbly, knead it with your hand until it comes together.
2. Divide the dough into two portions and flatten each with the palm of your hand. Wrap in cling film (plastic wrap) and chill in the refrigerator for 30 min.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F / Gas Mark 4). Lightly flour the work surface and rolling pin. Roll out one portion of dough out to a thickness of approx. 6 mm (1/4 in) thickness. Occasionally turn the dough to avoid sticking. Cut out the desired shape. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Repeat this process with the second portion of dough.
4. Bake until the edges of the cookies turn slightly golden. Let the cookies cool for 15 min on the baking sheet. Place the cookies on cooling racks and let cool completely.
Click on the button to download the printable recipe card.
Thanks for stopping by
Thanks so much for visiting the Cottage Blog. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this article, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Country Hill Cottage
Share this post