In the spirit of this week’s motivational quote by Paulo Coelho, we agree that the simplest things sometimes are the best, which is definitely true for our very vanilla cupcakes recipe! They have a light and fluffy texture, are moist and, most important of all, taste heavenly of sweet vanilla! If you want to take things up a notch, soak them with vanilla sugar syrup and pipe a big, beautiful swirl of whipped chocolate ganache or Swiss meringue buttercream on top.
What vanilla should I use?
You can either use 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or the seeds of 1 fresh vanilla bean, depending on your personal preference and availability. We found that the vanilla bean paste produces the strongest vanilla flavour, while the fresh seeds create beautiful speckles throughout the cupcakes.
The vanilla cupcakes taste delicious with a big swirl of Swiss meringue buttercream or whipped chocolate ganache!
More delicious cupcake and muffin recipes
Do you enjoy baking – and let’s be real eating – muffins and cupcakes as much as we do? Then also check out these cupcake and muffins recipes! From chocolate to caramel and fruits, we have a treat for every taste:
Very Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe
The cupcakes taste best on the day they’re made. You can also store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month. Allow the cupcake to defrost in the fridge and always let them come to room temperature before enjoying them.
Prep Time: 20 min
Baking Time: 20 min
Servings: 12 cupcakes
Temperature: 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4
- 170 g (3/4 cup / 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs (UK & Europe: M / US, CA, AUS & NZ: L)
- 180 g (2 cups) cake flour, sifted
- 90 ml (1/4 cup) buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or the seeds of 1 fresh vanilla bean
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 paper cupcakes cases
- electric hand-held or stand
- mixer with paddle attachment
- 1 large mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- 12 hole cupcake or muffin tray
- ice cream scoop or large spoon
- cooling rack
- oven mitts
- kitchen timer
- cake tester or skewer
1) Prepare the cupcake tray by placing paper cupcake cases in each hole of the tray. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
2) Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the vanilla and mix well. Add the eggs one-by-one and beat until well incorporated. If the mixture curdles, stir in a tablespoon of flour. Add the flour and the buttermilk and mix until everything is just combined. Don’t overbeat the batter.
3) Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, fill each cupcake case 2/3 with batter and bake for 20 minutes.
4) To check the doneness, insert a cake tester or skewer into the middle of a cupcake. If the skewer comes out clean, remove the cupcakes from the oven. Place the pan on a wire rack and allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe Card
Click on the button to download the printable vanilla cupcakes recipe card.
Thanks for stopping by
Thanks so much for visiting the Cottage Blog. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this article, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Country Hill Cottage
Share this post