Every baker needs a true-and-tested chocolate cupcakes recipe in her repertoire. Our version is light, albeit chocolaty, quick to whip up and uses only pantry staples. It’s perfect to satisfy the occasional midnight chocolate cravings or to cater for a bunch of hungry kids. These chocolate cupcakes taste especially delicious topped with our creamy Nutella icing or simple buttercream. You can also brush them with sugar syrup to keep the cupcakes fresh longer.
When it comes to icing these delicious chocolate cupcakes, you have countless options. We decorated our with a generous swirl of our Nutella icing and some hazelnuts, but also think rich raspberry buttercream, delectable cream cheese frosting or a light sprinkle of powdered sugar! If you can’t get enough chocolate, try a whipped chocolate ganache topping.
You can download and print the card for the chocolate cupcakes recipe at the end of this post.
Yummilicious Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Undercoated cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for a month.
Prep Time: 20 min
Baking Time: 20 min
Servings: 12 cupcakes
Temperature: 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4
- 170 g (3/4 cup / 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs (UK & Europe: M / US, CA, AUS & NZ: L)
- 180 g (2 cups) cake flour
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 85 g (3 oz / 2/3 cup) finely grated dark or milk chocolate
- 90 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 paper cupcakes cases
- electric hand-held or stand mixer with paddle attachment
- 1 large mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- 12 hole cupcake or muffin tray
- ice cream scoop or large spoon
- cooling rack
- oven mitts
- kitchen timer
- cake tester or skewer
1) Prepare the cupcake tray by placing paper cupcake cases in each hole of the tray. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
2) Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the vanilla and grated chocolate, mix well. Add the eggs one-by-one and beat until well incorporated. If the mixture curdles, stir in a tablespoon of flour. Add the flour and the milk and mix until everything is just combined. Don’t overbeat the batter.
3) Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, fill each cupcake case 2/3 with batter and bake for 20 minutes.
4) To check the doneness, insert a cake tester or skewer into the middle of a cupcake. If the skewer comes out clean, remove the cupcakes from the oven. Place the pan on a wire rack and allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
Materials: chocolate, cocoa
Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe Card
Click on the button to download the printable chocolate cupcakes recipe card.
Thanks for stopping by
Thanks so much for visiting the Cottage Blog. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this article, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Country Hill Cottage
Share this post