See how to make DIY wax brittle with essential oils. Homemade scented soy wax brittle is simply way to make your house smell amazing and provide relaxation. In this step-by-step tutorial, you learn how to make wax melts, and get 6 different wax bark ideas and blends of essential oils for wax melts. This easy all-natural wax melts recipe is a quick craft project and an easy handmade gift idea.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
DIY wax brittle with soy wax and essential oils – Homemade wax melt brittle recipe
Whether you like making scented soy candles or not, you’re sure to love this DIY wax brittle recipe! Let me tell you about these all natural wax melts – full of natural fragrance and beautifully decorated with dried flowers! The easiest DIY wax melts ever.
What I love about wax bark melts is that they are so quick and simple to create, which is great if you’re looking for wax melts for beginners! Plus, the wax brittle is made with soy wax and naturally scented with essential oils, so you don’t have to worry about harmful chemicals wafting through your home.
These DIY wax melts without beeswax also make the perfect homemade gift for essential oil lovers and everyone who loves non-toxic home fragrance products, don’t you think?
What is wax brittle or wax melt bark?
Wax brittle, which is also known as wax bark, wax melt brittle, wax melt bark, wax bark melts or wax scent brittle, are thin wax melts. DIY wax brittle is created by pouring melted wax into a cookie sheet/tray, letting it cool and then breaking the wax bark down into small pieces that fit into a melt warmer.
This is a super easy DIY soy wax melt recipe and a wonderful, all-natural home fragrance DIY. I’m not sure who came up with the idea of homemade wax melt brittle. Soap Queen has a lovely recipe for DIY floral wax bark melts, and wax melt brittle is sold on Etsy and Amazon, too.
Materials and supplies for wax brittle
My DIY wax brittle is made with natural, non-toxic ingredients. Many commercial wax melts are made with synthetic fragrances and paraffin wax, but you won’t find any of those materials in these all natural wax melts!
Here’s a list of the supplies and materials we need for this organic wax melts recipe:
- soy wax – I used Golden Brands 444 soy wax in this wax melt brittle recipe. This soy wax has a 10% fragrance load and will create a smooth, frosting-free surface.
- essential oils – Essential oils provide natural fragrance. It’s up to you if you want to fragrance with a blend or single essential oil. Just be sure to not exceed the total amount of 400 drops / 22 g / 0.8 oz. If you add too much EOs, the extra oil will leak from the wax.
- dried herbs and flowers – Dried petals and leaves are excellent options to decorate our wax melt bark. Using decorations is optional.
- candle dye or mica powder – Can you use mica in wax melts? Yes, you can use mica to colour homemade wax melts. I use mica often in my beauty recipes, and like the soft shimmer it adds to the soy wax recipe. Of course, candle dye works, too. Again, this is an optional ingredient. Without any dyes, you’ll simply have white wax brittle.
How to make wax brittle –Easy DIY soy wax melt recipe
How do you make wax melts? Wait until you see how easy these DIY wax melts without beeswax are! The recipe for scented wax brittle is very straightforward, it’s essentially a thin layer of soy wax with essential oils mixed in. A laser thermometer is your best friend to measure the wax temperature.
Here are the easy steps for how to make soy wax brittle:
- Prep the cookie sheet. Tape a piece of parchment/baking paper on a cookie sheet/tray.
- Melt the wax. Add the soy wax into a wax melter or double boiler and melt in a warm water bath. Heat wax to around 185°F / 85°C.
- Cool the wax. Once all the wax has melted remove from the heat and let cool to 125°F / 52°C
- Add essential oils. After the wax has cooled to 125°F / 52°C, stir in the essential oil(s) and mica powder if using.
- Pour the wax. Slowly pour the wax onto the prepared cookie sheet. Gently tab the cookie sheet on the counter to spread the wax and remove air bubbles.
- Decorate the scented bark. Optionally, sprinkle the top with dried flowers or herbs while the wax is still liquid.
- Let harden. Allow the wax to solidify at room temperature for several hours or overnight. The homemade wax melts are ready when the bottom of the cookie sheet feels cold. Don’t put the wax in the fridge, it’s better to cool the wax as slowly as possible.
- Break the wax bark into pieces. Once hard, peel back the paper and break the wax into pieces that will fit into your wax melter.
Wax brittle ideas and variations – Essential oils for wax melts
Now that we know the basic homemade wax brittle recipe, let’s be creative and have some fun making beautiful wax bark. Here are a few ideas:
- DIY floral wax bark: A mix of lavender, geranium and ylang ylang essential oil gives this simple botanical wax bark a soothing floral scent. I sprinkled the wax bark with dried flower petals to enhance the visual appeal.
- rose wax melt bark: I love roses and making rose wax melts was a no-brainer. Rose absolute, dried rose petals and a dash of pink mica give this wax brittle a romantic appearance.
- blue jasmine wax bark: My favourite wax bark is made with jasmine absolute and cute baby’s breath flowers. Blue mica makes these DIY floral wax melts look extra elegant.
- citrus wax brittle: A yellow base and pieces of dried oranges give this version a bright and sunny appearance. A blend of lemon and sweet orange essential oil will bring positive vibes to your home.
- breathe easy scent brittle: I fragranced this scented wax bark with a mix of eucalyptus, peppermint and balsam fir essential oil. The wax was tinted with green mica and dried eucalyptus and cypress were used as decoration.
- glitter wax brittle: This sparkly glitter wax melt was tinted with black mica (you’ll have to use quite a lot to get a dark grey colour) and then sprinkled with biodegradable glitter. I scented this version with an energising mix of balsam fir, lemongrass and frankincense essential oil.
The ideas above are just a starting point. There are so many ways how you can customize this easy wax melt recipe, the possibilities are limitless. Marbled wax melts, multi-coloured or rainbow wax melts would be a lot of fun also.
How do you use wax brittle?
I love warming essential oil wax melts to make my house smell amazing! Wax brittle is very easy to handle, and you use it exactly in the same way as any other DIY wax melts. Here is what you do:
- After the wax melt brittle has cooled, you can use the wax melt bark right away. No curing time needed!
- To use the scented wax brittle, simply place a piece of DIY wax bark in your warmer or melter.
- Then light the tea light or turn on your heat warmer if electric.
- Once you’re finished using the essential oil wax brittle, simply remove or turn off the heat source and the wax bark will harden until you are ready to use it again.
- When you are ready to dispose of the used scented wax melt, let the wax solidify. Then heat it for a few moments to loosen it and the wax melt should pop right out.
How do you store DIY wax melt bark?
Store the organic wax melts bark in airtight containers or resealable bags in a cool, dry area. Make sure the wax brittle is away from any heat sources, direct sunlight, or odour causing substances. A room temperature below 75°F / 23°C is best. If you live in a warmer climate, you can keep the wax bark melts in the refrigerator.
DIY wax melts gift – Wax brittle packaging
Wax brittle is a lovely handmade gift idea for countless occasions. This soy wax melt recipe would be a sweet little present for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, birthdays, or an inexpensive handmade gift for teachers, coaches, neighbours and co-workers.
Since it’s quite easy to whip up a large batch of this DIY wax melts bark, wax brittle is also great as affordable thank you favours for baby showers, bridal showers, weddings or parties.
Need wax brittle packaging ideas? Here are a few cute ideas for packaging my soy wax brittle recipe:
- wax brittle bags: Fill chunks of wax melt bark into cellophane bags or cotton bags, apply a pretty gift tag and tie with a ribbon.
- mason jar gifts: Add the hard wax brittle into mason jars and decorate the jar with a piece of ribbon or twine.
- favour boxes: Another gift wrapping idea is to pack the bark wax melts in favour boxes or small muffin boxes. These cardboard boxes look cute as do these favour boxes with a window.
How long do wax scent brittles last?
The shelf life for these soy wax melts is 1 year if the wax brittle was made with fresh soy wax. The scent throw of these all natural wax melts depends on how the product is being stored and the quality of the essential oils used.
Some essential oils have a long-lasting scent (e.g. EOs from the citrus family), while others will fade more quickly (e.g. some of the florals). When heating your wax brittle in a wax melt warmer, you can always add a few extra drops essential oils to make the wax melts smell stronger.
More homemade wax melts and scented candle recipes
If you are interested in trying more soy wax melt recipes, have a look at some of my other DIY home fragrance ideas:
Over to you!
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.