See how to make the best banana oatmeal breakfast cookies recipe! Made with rolled oats, ripe bananas and applesauce, these chewy gluten-free cookies are a healthy breakfast idea need just 7 ingredients and 10 minutes prep. The easy cookie recipe is free of added sugar and oil and includes an option for eggless vegan breakfast cookies.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Who wants banana oatmeal breakfast cookies?! These gluten free breakfast cookies are super easy and taste amazing. It just takes a few minutes to whip up a batch of chewy banana oatmeal cookies. Best off all, this breakfast cookie recipe contains no added sugar or oil but is loaded with nutritious ingredients.
My banana oatmeal breakfast cookies are great for meal prepping. The beauty of this dairy-free cookie recipe is that you can freeze a large batch and always have a quick and healthy breakfast recipe when you’re short on time.
Of course, you aren’t limited to breakfast and can serve them any time of day, whenever a healthy snack is needed, perfect healthy breakfast cookies for toddlers. The next time your kid – or hubby – asks for a homemade cookie, you can feel good knowing you’re handing them a healthy snack.
The gluten free breakfast recipe is also nut- and dairy-free and includes a vegan option.
Are cookies good for breakfast? Some breakfast cookie recipes aren’t healthy because they usually contain refined sugar, large amounts of butter or artificial ingredients. But this banana oatmeal cookie recipe is healthy. It’s made with gluten-free oats, and ripe bananas provide natural sweetness and allow us to skip added sugar and butter.
This healthy breakfast cookie recipe is:
- a simple, one-bowl cookie recipe
- delicious, crunchy and full of healthy ingredients
- gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free and soy-free
- naturally sweetened and without added sugar
Below, I’ll also share how you can make vegan breakfast cookies without eggs. Read on if you want to learn how to make vegan banana oatmeal breakfast cookies.
If you like banana breakfast recipes or breakfast foods made with banana, you have to try these healthy breakfast cookies! You only need 7 ingredients to make these chewy gluten free banana oatmeal breakfast cookies!
- gluten-free rolled oats
- ripe bananas
- unsweetened applesauce
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- dried cranberries
There are 4 easy-to-follow steps for how to make healthy banana oatmeal breakfast cookies:
- Mash the bananas. In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
- Mix the cookie dough. Add the oats, egg, applesauce, cinnamon, vanilla extract and cranberries. Stir to combine well.
- Form the breakfast cookies. Drop tablespoons of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet/tray. Space the breakfast cookies spaced 1-inch/ 2.5 cm apart.
- Bake the cookies. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the cookies look golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
These loaded breakfast cookies are soft right out of the oven but firm up as they cool. Then the gluten free cookies become crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. Sooo good!
As I mentioned above, you can make vegan banana oatmeal breakfast cookies, too! Simply replace the egg from the recipe with 1 chia egg, and you’re on your way to tasty vegan banana breakfast cookies.
To make a chia egg, mix together 1 tablespoon of ground chia seeds and 2.5 tablespoons water. Let sit 10 to 15 minutes or until the texture is goopy like an egg. If preferred, you can also ground use flax seeds instead of chia seeds.
This gluten free recipe is very versatile and if you make it repeatedly, try using different ingredients each time for some variation. Here are some ideas to customise this gluten-free, dairy-free cookies recipe.
- chocolate chips – Chocolate chip breakfast cookies are a favourite in my family.
- raisins – Instead of cranberries, you can also use raisins or other dried fruit to make this easy make-ahead breakfast cookie recipe.
- nuts – Although I wanted to create a nut-free cookie recipe, you can add in some crushed walnuts or pecans for extra crunch.
- coconut – Toasted coconut flakes add delicious texture and flavour to this easy breakfast cookie recipe.
- granola – Sub 1 cup oatmeal for 1 cup granola and you have delish granola breakfast cookies!
Store the flourless banana oatmeal breakfast cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If refrigerated, these gluten-free breakfast cookies will last up to 1 week in the fridge.
Yes, you can freeze this banana oatmeal cookie recipe. Either put them in a freezer bag or a freezer-safe container. It’s nice to freeze a few batches of chewy breakfast cookies and grab out what you need for a quick breakfast.
To thaw the oatmeal and banana breakfast cookies, just place them on the counter, in a lunch box, or in the refrigerator until cookies are defrosted. If you want to enjoy the cookies a little warm, heat them in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds.
Over to you!
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.