This moist Bisquick coffee cake is a quick and easy recipe you can put together in a pinch. It takes just 20 minutes to prepare this simple coffee crumb cake. The cake is perfect for brunch and teatime, bring to a bake sale, but could also double as dessert.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Bisquick cinnamon coffee cake
Bisquick streusel coffee cake is one of my favorite things to make for brunch and get-togethers. The simple recipe is fluffy, moist, and packed with the delicious flavors of butter, cinnamon, and sugary goodness.
Bisquick cake is just wonderful to have as a snack with a cup of coffee. It also has become a staple for many holiday morning breakfasts, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I also love how easy this baking mix coffee cake is to make. It has a super soft, fluffy texture and thick brown sugar cinnamon streusel. It’s one of my favorite bakes, along with my evaporated milk cake.
I love Bisquick, especially when it comes to baking. For more recipes, try our Bisquick banana bread, Bisquick blueberry muffins, and Bisquick chocolate chip cookies.
There are only 7 simple ingredients in this Bisquick coffee cake recipe, which I bet you have in your kitchen right now. You can find the exact measurements in the recipe card below.
- Bisquick baking mix is the base of the cake and the streusel topping. Using Bisquick is a clever shortcut because you don’t have to measure the flour and leavener separately.
- Sugar: The recipe calls for 2 types of sugar. White granulated sugar goes into the cake layer, while light brown sugar sweetens the streusel topping.
- Butter: You need softened butter to form the crumbs. I also added some melted butter to the cake layer to make it richer and moister.
- Milk: Use whole milk for the best flavor and texture.
- Eggs act as the binder. Take the eggs out of the fridge 30 to 60 minutes before your start baking. Room temperature ingredients will incorporate better into the batter.
- Vanilla extract adds sweetness and depth of flavor. I highly recommend pure vanilla extract for the best taste.
- Ground cinnamon gives this easy coffee cake lots of cozy, warm flavor. It goes in both the cake batter and the streusel toppings.
- Kitchen scale or measuring cups and spoons for measuring the ingredients.
- Mixing bowls and whisk for mixing the batter and prepping the crumb topping.
- 8-inch square baking pan and parchment paper to bake the coffee cake.
- Serrated knife to cut the cake into squares.
How to make Bisquick coffee cake
This coffee cake with Bisquick is incredibly simple! It takes about 15 minutes to mix the batter and streusel topping. And after 30 minutes in the oven, you are rewarded with the most delicious coffee cake.
#1: Mix cake batter
- Whisk together the Bisquick baking mix, granulated sugar, eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Mix until smooth and you no longer see streaks of Bisquick.
- Transfer the cake batter to a lined 8-inch square baking pan.
#2: Make streusel topping
- Add the Bisquick mix, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter to another mixing bowl. Stir with a fork or gently knead with your fingertips until large crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the crumbs in an even layer over the cake batter.
#3: Bake, cool & slice
- Bake the cake on the center rack in a 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan.
- Once cooled, lift the cake out of the pan and use a serrated knife to cut the cake into squares. Enjoy!
Bisquick coffee cake is pretty similar to other crumb cake recipes. Here are a few simple tips that I think you’ll find helpful when you go to make this simple Bisquick cake.
- Kitchen scale: I highly recommend measuring dry ingredients like Bisquick baking mix with a digital scale. It’s the most accurate way to bake and guarantees that the cake turns out perfect.
- Room temperature ingredients: Make sure cold ingredients (like eggs and milk) are at room temperature. This ensures they incorporate well. It’s a good idea to take them out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before you start baking.
- Mix the crumb topping thoroughly: If the streusel aren’t evenly moist and have dry spots, some of the crumbs may sink as the cake is baking.
- Light metal pan: Use a light-colored baking pan for this recipe. Dark pans can scorch the sides and bottom of the cake.
- Parchment paper overhang: Have the parchment paper hang over the sides of your baking pan. This will make lifting the baked cake out of the pan easier.
- Let the cake cool: For nice, clean slices, allow your cake to cool completely. Warm cake tends to fall apart if you cut into it.
Bisquick coffee cake is really easy to customize, and I have a few ideas for you to try!
- Nuts: Add chopped pecans, walnuts, or sliced almonds to the crumb topping for a delicious, nutty crunch.
- Pumpkin pie spice: Substitute pumpkin pie spice for cinnamon for a more complex flavor.
- Citrus zest: Add the finely grated of 1 to 2 lemons or oranges to the cake batter for bright hints of citrus.
- Chocolate chips: Fold 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips into the batter and drizzle melted chocolate over the cake after baking.
- Blueberry almond: Add 1/2 cup blueberries and 1/4 tsp almond extract to the batter. Add flaked almonds to the crumb topping.
- Orange blossom: Replace some of the milk with 1/8 cup orange blossom water.
- Powdered sugar: Dust the Bisquick streusel topping with powdered sugar for a pretty and simple finish.
- Glaze: To make a simple glaze, mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1-2 tablespoons milk. Whisk until smooth and drizzle over the cooled cake.
If you’re looking for a quick, easy treat you can whip up for breakfast or brunch, a shower, or gatherings, then try this cake made with Bisquick. It always gets two thumbs from everyone who tries it.
Bisquick crumb cake tastes delicious with a cup of coffee or tea, but it’s wonderful with other warm drinks as well. Serve the cake with hot chocolate, mulled apple cider, or this mocha smoothie.
You can also hand it with your favorite savory breakfast dishes, like scrambled eggs, fried bacon, and breakfast casserole.
And turn the cake into a dessert, serve a slice with a dollop of whipped cream of Greek yogurt, fresh fruit and berries, and a drizzle of honey.
How to store Bisquick coffee cake
Store your Bisquick cake in an airtight container to protect it from drying out., It will last at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Freeze Bisquick cake
Let the cake cool completely. Then wrap it in several layers of plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-friendly container or Ziploc bag. Label with a date and freeze for up to 3 months.
You can freeze the entire cake or individual portions. To thaw, place the frozen cake in the fridge overnight or on the counter for a couple of hours.
Reheat Bisquick cinnamon coffee cake
We love our Bisquick crumb coffee cake warm. To reheat, warm in the microwave in 15-second increments until warm.
To heat in the oven, remove any plastic wrap, and wrap the slice in aluminum foil. Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4 and bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until warm.
How many servings does this Bisquick coffee cake recipe make?
The cake yields 9 to 12 servings, depending on how you cut the cake.
Can I bake the cake in a round cake pan?
Sure! Bake the cake in an 8 to 9-inch round baking pan – whichever size you have on hand. The baking time and thickness of the cake will vary.
A small pan results in a smaller, thicker cake that needs to bake slightly longer. A large pan will create a thinner cake, which means a shorter bake time.
What does adding Bisquick do?
Bisquick is the main dry ingredient in this easy coffee cake recipe. It contains baking powder and ensures the cake rises and gets a fluffy, tender texture. The shortening in Bisquick guarantees the cake will be moist + soft and lasts longer.
Can I use another pancake mix?
Though I haven’t tested this, the recipe might also work with other pancake mixes such as Jiffy or Krusteaz. If you try it, please let me know so I can update the post.
Reasons to love Bisquick coffee cake
- Quick prep: This soft and fluffy Bisquick crumb cake takes just 20 minutes to prepare, meaning you can whip it up whenever you’re in the mood for homemade cake.
- Made with Bisquick: This cake is a fluffy yellow cake made with Bisquick, which makes the texture extra moist and gives a tender crumb.
- Simple ingredients: The rest are basic pantry staples you likely already have in your kitchen.
- Crumb topping: The streusel topping is made with plenty of brown sugar and cinnamon. It’s thick and slightly crunchy, contrasting beautifully with the soft cake layer underneath.
- Customizable: This Bisquick cake recipe forms the perfect base for different coffee crumb cakes. You can create lots of flavor variations from here.
More Bisquick recipes
Bisquick is a fantastic ingredient. Here are a few more recipes that use the magic of Bisquick that your family will go crazy over!
Other easy baking recipes you’ll love
You can never have too many baking recipes! I love baking cakes, cookies, and muffins because they taste better than anything from the store. If you agree, check out these recipes: