This hot dog bun garlic bread is an easy-to-make recipe with leftover hot dog rolls, cheese, garlic, and herbs. Perfectly cheesy and garlicky, it’s a tasty addition to your favorite pasta dishes or dipped in marinara as an appetizer.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Amazing hot dog bun garlic bread
Do you ever buy too many hot dog buns and wonder what to do with the leftovers? Me too. After sharing hot dog bun bread pudding and hot dog bun French toast, I think it’s time for something savory!
Enter the cheesiest and most scrumptious hot dog bun garlic bread recipe. My family is big fans of everything garlic bread has to offer, including olive oil garlic bread and hamburger bun garlic bread.
You’ll love my take on cheesy garlic bread hot dog buns! It has incredible texture, a crispy, toasted exterior, and a soft, buttery inside. The buns are piled high with an aromatic cheese and garlic mixture, making every bite irresistible.
Hot dog bun garlic bread goes with countless meals, but we love it with some homemade mac and cheese or salmon pasta. There are a lot of garlic bread recipes out there, but you don’t want to miss this one!
In this post, I’ve put together my favorite tips and tricks to make the best hot bun garlic bread. But if you just want the recipe, tap the jump-to-recipe button at the top of the page, or click here for the printable recipe card.
Why you’ll love garlic bread with hot dog buns
- Garlicky + cheesy deliciousness: This hot dog garlic bread recipe is made with lots of garlic and boasts 3 types of cheese – cheddar, parmesan, and mozzarella!
- Leftover hot dog buns recipe: Instead of going to waste, the recipe gives stale hot dog buns new life by turning them into delicious garlic bread.
- Quick and easy: You’ll need just 10 minutes prep and another 10 minutes in the oven to bake the rolls to crisp perfection.
- Tasty side: I highly recommend serving hot bun garlic bread with your favorite pasta dish, like this ham and pea pasta or meatballs with alfredo sauce.
- Freeze for later: You can make a double batch of this garlic bread and freeze one batch for later – it stores well!
Hot dog bun garlic bread is easier to make than you think! It only takes 7 ingredients, and you’ll be all set and ready to bake this. Check the printable recipe card at the bottom of this page for exact measurements.
- Hot dog buns: My recipe is designed for 4 hot dog buns, which make 4 to 8 servings. If you need more servings, simply double or triple the quantities.
- Garlic: You can’t make garlic bread without lots of garlic flavor! The recipe calls for 6 fresh garlic cloves. If you don’t have fresh garlic, use 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder.
- Butter is the base of the garlic spread. I like to use salted butter because it adds great flavor. Of course, unsalted butter + 1/2 teaspoon salt will do as well.
- Cheese: The cheese mixture of this garlicky toasted hot dog buns is cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan. This cheese combo melts beautifully and tastes divine.
- Parsley adds a delicious earthy flavor. You’ll add it to the spread and use it as a garnish on top.
How to make hot dog bun garlic bread
Cheesy hot dog bun garlic bread is simple and ready to eat in about 20 minutes. It’s so tasty that you’ll want to keep this recipe on hand because you’ll be making it all the time! Here’s how to make your own garlic bread with hot dog buns:
Step 1: Preheat oven
Preheat your oven to 375°F / 190°C / gas mark 5. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment (baking) paper or aluminum foil.
Step 2: Cut hot dog buns
Slice each hot dog bun lengthwise in half. Lay the buns on the prepared baking sheet.
Step 3: Make garlic spread
Put the softened butter, cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, minced garlic, and parsley into a large mixing bowl and mix until combined. Using a knife or spatula, spread the mixture on each hot dog bun.
Step 4: Bake
Bake the garlic bread buns in the preheated oven for 7 to 10 minutes until the tops look melty and golden brown.
Step 5: Garnish
Let sit for 3 to 4 minutes. Then garnish each bun with freshly chopped parsley if desired.
Step 6: Serve
Serve warm with pasta or pass marinara sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
Tips for the best hot dog garlic bread
Homemade garlic bread is my favorite because you can tweak the recipe to your liking. Here are a few tips to ensure you get the best hot dog garlic bread!
- Line your baking sheet for easy clean-up. Be sure to cover your baking sheet with a piece of parchment (baking) paper or foil to catch any melted cheese dripping from the buns.
- Add heat. Stir paprika, red pepper flakes, or jalapeños into the garlic spread for more spice garlic bread buns.
- Cover with aluminum foil if you notice the hot dog buns baking too fast. You don’t need to cover the buns when baking them. However, if you notice them baking too quickly, cover them with a tent-shaped piece of foil to prevent the bread from overbaking too fast.
- Broil at the end: You can broil the garlic bread buns for 1 to 2 minutes to give them a golden brown, crisper top. If broiling, line your baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Wait a few minutes before serving. Hot dog bun garlic bread tastes best warm, but you still want to wait a few minutes before digging in as the cheese is scalding right out of the oven.
Garlic bread hot dog buns go with so many different dishes, especially pasta and Italian entrees. I mean, it doesn’t get much better than dipping Texas toast hot dog buns into a delicious sauce on your plate! I’ve gathered up a few of my favorite dinner ideas that you must try this cheesy garlic bread with! They go so well together!
- Tuscan Tortellini Salad
- Ravioli Soup
- Gnocchi Bake
- Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Crispy Sheet Pan Gnocchi
- Chicken Parm Stuffed Peppers
Howe to store hot dog bun garlic bread
If you make enough of this hot dog bun garlic bread, you can prepare enough for next day’s dinner as well. Here’s how to store and reheat garlic bread with hot dog buns:
- Store: Let the cheesy garlic bread buns cool completely before putting them into an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat: Preheat your oven to 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4 and place the hot dog bun garlic bread on a baking sheet. Cover the baking sheet loosely with foil and bake the buns for 5 to 7 minutes, until heated through.
How to freeze garlic bread
If you’d like to freeze your hot dog roll garlic bread for later, follow the directions, and let the buns cool completely. Then place a piece of parchment (baking) paper between each bun and put them in a freezer-safe container or bag.
Freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw the garlic bread in the fridge overnight or on the counter. You can also bake the frozen bread by placing it on a baking sheet and bake the buns in 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4 oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
What are hot dog buns?
Hot dog buns are a type of soft, oblong bun shaped to hold a hot dog or other sausages. You can typically find them in the bread aisle of your supermarket or grocery store.
Can I make garlic bread with fresh hot dog buns?
Yes, this cheesy garlic bread recipe works well with both fresh and stale hot dog buns. I used side-loading hot buns, but top-loading buns are fine, too.
Does this recipe with other dinner rolls or other types of bread?
Absolutely! You can spread the garlic cheese mixture on any kind of rolls and bread. It’s amazing on Hawaiian rolls, hamburger buns, croissants, bagels, and all sorts of bread such as Texas toast, white bread, baguette, or French bread.
You can’t put parchment paper under the broiler, you’ll start a fire.
Hi Keara! Broiling is optional, but I added that tip. Happy making!