Get ready for comfort food coming your way! In this post we share our recipe for scrumptious chicken chops baked with carrots and cheddar. This dish cooks fast, making it perfect for a quick lunch or midweek dinner, and tastes great with pasta or mashed potatoes. You can find the recipe for our favorite and quick mashed potatoes at the end of this post!
These chicken chops with carrots and cheddar are perfect for busy weeknights. And seriously, what’s better than chicken and melted cheese, right?
Quick Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Here’s our favourite recipe for quick and easy mashed potatoes!
- 800 g potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt
- a pinch of nutmeg
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 10 – 15 minutes
1) Cook the potatoes
Put the potatoes in a large sauce pan and fill with water until just covered. Bring to a boil, the cook for 10 – 15 minutes on medium high heat until the potatoes are very tender and soft. Strain the potatoes and save the cooking liquid.
2) Mash the potatoes
Mash the potatoes with a potatoes masher or blender. Add the cream cheese and enough cooking liquid until the mixture become creamy. Season with salt and nutmeg to taste.
- 4 – 5 chicken chops or thin, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 600 g carrots, peeled and cut into slices
- cooking oil
- 125 g cheddar, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the chicken chops. Season the chicken chops with salt and pepper. Heat the canola oil in a non-stick pan. Add the chicken chops, 2 to 3 add a time, and fry on both sides for 4 minutes on medium high heat. To test if the chicken chops are done, cut a small slit in the thickest part of the chop and check if the meat is cooked through. If not, return the pan to the heat for another 2 to 3 minutes. Set the chicken aside after frying.
- Cook the vegetables. In the same pan, add additional oil if necessary and sauté the onions for 3 to minutes, until the start to look translucent, season with a little salt. Add the carrots and cook for another 10 to 12 minutes, until the carrots become just tender, season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the dish. Preheat the oven to 180° (350°F / gas mark 4). Grease a baking dish with a little oil. Then layer the chicken chops and vegetables. Generously top with grated cheddar and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Enjoy warm!