These mini chocolate chip muffins are super tender and bouncy, studded with chocolate chips in every bite. Not only are they ready in 30 minutes, you also only need 7 basic ingredients to make these no-mixer muffins. This mini muffins recipe is perfect for breakfast, lunch boxes, potlucks, or as a bite-sized snack between meals.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Easy mini chocolate chip muffins
While I love regular-sized muffins, these mini chocolate muffins are just too cute not to share. I’ve been making this easy mini muffin recipe for years. Every time I bring a batch to work or a family get-together, everyone goes crazy for them, and I’m confident you’ll love them too!
These mini chocolate chip muffins not only satisfy my chocolate craving, but they are also excellent for breakfast or as a quick snack when that dread afternoon slump hits.
Mini muffins make fantastic party food to serve to a crowd, too. They travel really well, and you can bring them to a BBQ or potluck without worrying about them not holding up. It’s a win-win.
Why you’ll love this mini chocolate chip muffins recipe
I need no convincing to make any baked goods where chocolate chips are involved. But just in case you’re on the fence about baking up a batch, here are all the reasons why you should try this mini chocolate chip muffin recipe:
- lots and lots of chocolate chips
- tender and moist texture
- silky crumb
- just 7 ingredients
- 10 minutes prep + fun to make
- great for portion control (at least theoretically, I usually stuff myself)
- perfect for feeding a crowd or bringing to a potluck, luncheon, party, or the office
Ingredients for chocolate chip mini muffins
The beautiful thing about this mini chocolate chip muffins recipe is that you’ll only need a few simple ingredients. Here’s your grocery list:
- Chocolate chips: I used regular-sized semisweet chocolate chips. Of course, mini chocolate chips would also be perfect for this mini muffin recipe. And if you don’t have chocolate chips, simply chop up a chocolate bar into small pieces.
- Sugar: I made my mini muffins with granulated sugar (white sugar), but you can swap it out for brown sugar, too.
- Flour: Regular all-purpose flour works best in this easy chocolate chip muffin recipe. Although I haven’t tried it, 1-to-1 gluten-free flour blends will probably work, too.
- Buttermilk: I love using buttermilk in my homemade muffin recipes. I think it makes them extra moist and delicious. If you don’t have buttermilk, substitute with the same amount of sour cream, plain Greek yogurt, or creme fraiche.
- Melted butter creates a tender crumb and keeps the inside perfectly moist and flavorful. You can either go for salted butter or unsalted butter + 1/4 tsp fine salt. While I think butter gives the best flavor, you can also make them with neutral-tasting vegetable oil.
- Eggs: 2 eggs are needed to bind the other ingredients together and keep the muffins light + fluffy.
- Baking powder is the leavener and gives the muffins the perfect rise and domed tops without too many holes.
You can also add 1 tsp vanilla extract to the chocolate chip muffins batter, but they will taste yummy without it.
How to make chocolate chip mini muffins
How do you make chocolate chip mini muffins from scratch? These chocolate chip mini muffins take just 30 minutes to prep and bake. Let me show you the basic steps:
Step 1: Prep work
Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4. Line a mini muffin pan with paper muffin cases.
Step 2: Combine dry ingredients
Add the flour, sugar, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl and stir to mix.
Step 3: Mix wet ingredients
To a large measuring cup or pitcher, add the melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs. Whisk until combined.
Step 4: Make the muffin batter
Pour the liquid mixture over the dry mixture. Stir together until just combined, but don’t overmix. The batter will be thick and lumpy, and that’s fine.
Step 5: Fold in the chocolate chips
Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the muffin batter. Scrape down the side of the bowl as you go.
Step 6: Fill the mini muffin pan
Fill each muffin cup with batter until almost full, approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter. Optionally, sprinkle each muffin top with a generous amount of extra chocolate chips.
Step 7: Bake
Bake the muffins for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are set and a skewer/toothpick insertedcomes out clean, with just a few crumbs but no batter.
Step 8: Serve
Allow your mini muffins to cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips for the best mini chocolate chip muffins
Let’s go over some tips and tricks so you can bake the best mini chocolate chip muffins!
- Use good quality chocolate chips. Whit a simple recipe, the ingredients really stand out. To get the best mini chocolate chip muffins, grab high-quality chocolate chips.
- Don’t over mix. I like to stir in the flour and only mix it until it just forms a batter. This will help you keep your mini chocolate muffins soft and tender.
- Fill up the muffin cups. To achieve high-domed mini muffins, fill the cavities of the muffin pan almost to the top. The muffin batter is pretty thick and holds its shape while baking.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar. If you like crunchy, bakery-style muffin tops, sprinkle coarse sugar over the unbaked muffins right before baking.
Not only are these cute mini chocolate muffins easy to make and delicious to eat, but the recipe is also very customizable. If you’re looking to switching things up, try some of these ideas:
- Chocolate chips: Swap out semisweet choc chips for white chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips. Even better, use a mix of different chocolate chips like I did.
- Nuts: Stir in a 1/2 cup of chopped nuts (e.g. pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts).
- Dried fruit: Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins.
- Spices: Season the muffin batter with 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
- Sprinkles: How fun are mini chocolate chip sprinkle muffins? Gently fold 1/3 cup sprinkles into the muffin batter right before baking.
Mini muffins FAQ
How big are mini muffins?
Mini muffins are approx. 1/4 to 1/3 the size of regular muffins.
Where can I buy mini muffin pans?
Online or baking supply shops are good places to buy mini muffin tins. You may also find them in well-assorted supermarkets and most department stores.
Should I use paper liners?
That’s up to you! I prefer liners because you don’t have to grease the pan, and the mini muffins come out easily. I used these white mini muffin liners.
If you prefer to bake the muffins without paper liners, be sure to grease your mini muffin pan really well with melted butter or non stick spray. Also, let the muffins cool in the muffin tin. Otherwise, some of the chocolate chips will stick to the pan.
What is the mini muffin bake time?
I baked my mini muffins for about 15 to 20 minutes. However, the baking time can vary depending on your oven and mini muffin pan. Dark non-stick muffin pans tend to get hotter, and your mini muffins will be done faster.
You want to bake the muffins until the tops look slightly golden around the edges and domed. A skewer or cake tester inserted into the middle should come out clean. A few crumbs are okay, but you don’t want to see liquid batter.
Calories in small chocolate chip muffins
Want to know the mini chocolate chip muffins calories? 1 mini chocolate chip muffin has 109 calories, 15 carbs, 5 fat, 2 protein. You can see the full nutritional values in the recipe card down below.
Can I use this recipe to make regular size muffins?
Absolutely! The recipe makes 12 to 14 regular-sized chocolate chip muffins. You need to increase the baking time to 25 to 30 minutes. The rest of the steps remain the same.
What is the secret to making moist muffins?
Buttermilk keeps these muffins moist and tender. Buttermilk is slightly thicker than regular milk, and gives this mini muffins recipe a lovely texture and tangy flavor. You can also use sour cream, crème fraiche, or plain Greek yogurt for extra moist and rich muffins.
How to store small chocolate chip muffins
Try these tips for storing your mini chocolate chip muffins:
- At room temperature: Keep the mini chocolate chip muffins airtight for up 4 days on the countertop.
- Refrigerate: Store your mini muffins in an airtight food container or ziptop bag. I recommend putting them on a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture. They will last for 1 week.
- Freeze: Place your chocolate chip mini muffins in a resealable freezer bag and freeze for up to 3-4 months.
- Defrost: To thaw, put the mini muffins on a plate, cover with a piece of plastic wrap/cling film and allow to come to room temperature (about 1 to 2 hours).
- Reheat: Warm the mini chocolate muffins in the microwave for 1 minute.