Ocean Spray cranberry bread recipe is a delicious, moist quick bread, full of tart cranberries, crunchy nuts, and hints of citrus. The tender texture combined with the amazing taste will make this sweet bread the hit of your holiday season.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Ocean spray cranberry orange bread
While I love all the cookies and sweet treats of the holidays, one of my favorite recipes to bake and gift is Ocean Spray cranberry bread. It looks so festive during the holiday season and tastes absolutely delicious.
The tart cranberries complement the citrusy oranges and tender, luscious bread so well. The perfect balance of sweet and zingy flavors!
Even better, the recipe is super simple, and everyone loves to get and eat a delicious loaf of homemade cranberry bread.
Wrap a loaf with a nice bow, and you have a homemade gift that your family and friends will be happy to receive.
Whether you’re a cranberry lover or looking for a delicious holiday breakfast idea, you need to make this cranberry quick bread today!
Let’s discuss the ingredients that go into this cranberry loaf. Once you have cranberries and oranges, you probably find everything else in your kitchen. The exact amounts are included in the recipe card toward the end of this post.
- Cranberries: Fresh or frozen cranberries work. I always use fresh cranberries when they are in season. Frozen cranberries are a great option for the rest of the year.
- Orange juice + peel complement cranberries so well. Be sure to zest the orange before juicing. Otherwise, it’s almost impossible to grate the orange peel.
- All-purpose flour: For accuracy, weigh the flour with kitchen scales. Alternatively, use the spoon and level method to measure your flour: Spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level off the excess with the back of a knife.
- White granulated sugar provides sweetness and moisture to the bread. Substitute light brown sugar for a lovely caramel note.
- Egg: You need one large egg to bind the batter. Beat it lightly before adding it to the batter.
- Butter: You need a little butter to add moisture. Let the butter soften on the counter or melt it. You could also use shortening or vegetable oil.
- Baking powder + baking soda are the leavening agents that help the bread to rise and become light and fluffy.
- Salt helps to balance the sweetness and enhances the overall aroma.
- Nuts (optional) add a delicious nutty flavor and crunchy texture. Pecans or pistachio work great here.
- Measuring cups + spoons or kitchen scales to measure everything.
- Large mixing bowl to combine ingredients.
- Whisk + hand mixer for mixing.
- Rubber spatula to fold in the cranberries.
- Loaf pan to bake the bread.
- Parchment paper to line the pan and prevent sticking.
How to make Ocean spray cranberry bread
Ocean spray cranberry orange bread recipe is pretty simple to throw together. And in no time, your home will be filled with the most amazing holiday aroma. A citrusy, sweet smell that is mouthwatering. Just hang on, warm cranberry bread is coming!
#1: Prepare for baking
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4. Grease a 9 in x 5 in / 23 cm x 12 cm loaf pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Line with a piece of parchment paper, so that ends hang off on short sides for easy removal of the loaf. Set aside.
#2: Combine dry ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
#3: Mix wet ingredients
- Add the orange juice, orange zest, egg, and softened butter. Beat with a hand mixer until everything is combined and you no longer see streaks of flour.
#4: Fold in cranberries + nuts
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the chopped cranberries and nuts until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
#5: Bake bread
- Pour or spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan. Optionally, sprinkle the top with more chopped nuts.
- Bake the cranberry bread for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, with only a few crumbs remaining.
- Tip: Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil if the bread is browning too quickly.
#6: Cool loaf
- Remove from the oven and cool the bread in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Then lift it out of the pan (using the parchment paper sling as handles). Transfer onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
This glorious Ocean Spray cranberry bread is super straightforward, but I still have some helpful tips and tricks to take note of. Read through them before you get cracking!
- Room temperature ingredients: Be sure your cold ingredients, like eggs and butter, are at room temperature for the best results.
- Don’t overmix: For a light and fluffy texture, go easy on the mixing, and don’t overmix the batter. Overmixing will activate the gluten and lead to dense bread. Also, bake the bread as soon as everything is combined. Letting the batter sit will cause deflation.
- Watch your oven: Every oven bakes differently, so begin to check your bread after 30 minutes to be sure it isn’t browning too much. If so, cover the top loosely with tin foil to give the center more time to bake through. The bread is done when a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. A few crumbs are okay, but there should be no liquid batter.
- Cool completely before slicing: Trust me, I know how tempting it is to dig before the bread has a chance to cool. But for nice, clean slices, the cranberry loaf bread needs time to cool down and set.
Want to experiment with extra ingredients for a different flavor? Go right ahead! Here are some ideas to customize this Ocean Spray cranberry bread recipe:
- Add a glaze: For a sweet touch and pretty presentation, drizzle the loaf with a sweet glaze. You can find a simple recipe in the Notes section of the recipe card below.
- Swap the nuts: This recipe will work with any nuts. Pistachios, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts make great additions.
- White chocolate chips make a sweet, buttery addition to this delicious bread. Try adding 1 cup.
- Use a muffin pan: The recipe can also be baked in a muffin pan. Line the tin with paper liners and adjust the baking time as needed (about 20 to 25 minutes).
How to store Ocean Spray cranberry bread
This easy cranberry bread recipe stores well, which is great, but I doubt you’ll have much to save. It’s so good that it never lasts long at my house.
The bread will keep well in an airtight container or a plastic bag at room temperature for 4 to 5 days. It will last about 7 to 8 days in the refrigerator.
Freeze Ocean Spray cranberry nut bread
Cranberry orange nut bread freezes beautifully. Let it cool completely, and don’t glaze it. Then wrap it tightly with plastic and put it in a freezer-safe bag. Freeze for 2 to 3 months. Let it thaw on the counter or in the fridge overnight.
Reheat Ocean Spray cranberry orange bread
For that warm, fresh-out-of-the-oven taste, pop a slice in the microwave and heat in 20-second bursts until soft and warm.
Reasons to love Ocean Spray cranberry bread recipe
- Taste: The loaf is loaded with holiday flavors. Cranberries and oranges make the perfect pair and shine in this sweet, moist bread.
- Texture: Fresh cranberry bread is so fluffy and moist. The cranberries add little pops of fruitiness, while the nuts give the loaf a wonderful crunch.
- Ease: The cranberry nut bread recipe is easy to make and uses simple pantry staples you already have on hand.
- Time: With just 10 minutes prep time and 50 minutes in the oven, the bread is ready in about 1 hour.
- Giftable: If you love to spread holiday cheer in the form of baked goodies, this orange cranberry nut bread makes the perfect gift for family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers.
More quick bread recipes
We love a good quick bread! They are simple and fast to make because they lack yeast, and you can have a warm loaf ready to munch up in no time. Here are a few more of our favorite quick bread recipes to try!