This sunrise sunset tropical smoothie is creamy, dreamy perfection! With frozen strawberries, pineapple, mango, and orange juice, the smoothie recipe is incredibly easy to make and even easier to sip for a light breakfast or refreshing snack on a hot afternoon.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
What is sunrise sunset smoothie?
The sunrise sunset smoothie is a creamy, chilled drink that consists of strawberries, pineapple, mango, and orange juice. As far as I can tell, the smoothie was invented by Tropical Smoothie Café, and my at-home version stays true to their recipe.
Sunrise sunset tropical smoothie recipe is as simple as easy as it gets: 5 tasty ingredients, 5 minutes prep time, 1 blender. The base is frozen strawberries, mango, and pineapple. I included a touch of honey as an optional addition for sweetness. And last but not least orange juice!
Sunrise smoothie makes the perfect refreshing breakfast or snack. I’m so excited for you to try this copycat Tropical smoothie recipe and hope you’ll love it as much as my family!
Why you’ll love this sunrise sunset smoothie recipe
- Sweet + refreshing: Sunset sunrise smoothie is incredibly refreshing and perfect for cooling down on a hot day. The delicious flavor and creamy texture can even satisfy a sweet tooth.
- Vegan: The drink uses orange juice and maple syrup, so it’s fully vegan and dairy-free.
- Super easy to make: Drop everything into a blender, blend, and enjoy!
Round up these things and you’ll be ready to go! The sunrise sunset ingredients use a lot of delicious fruits, which is just another reason to blend up a batch! I’ve included exact measurements at the end of the post.
- Strawberries: Rich in vitamins and antioxidants, strawberries are a fantastic addition to smoothies. Be sure to use frozen strawberries because they make the texture thick and creamy.
- Pineapple: Full of tropical vibes, pineapple packs the smoothie with essential minerals and vitamins. Again, you want to use frozen fruit chunks.
- Mango: Mangos are a good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins A and C. Plus, they give the smoothie a beautiful orange color. And if you want mango to take center stage, try this mango magic smoothie.
- Orange juice is the main liquid and essential to the smoothie’s aroma. It makes the other fruits pop to the extent that the drink will almost taste bland without it. You can also make the recipe with lemon juice.
- Maple syrup: I like adding honey to the smoothie for a touch of sweetness.
How to make sunrise sunset tropical smoothie
It only takes a few rounds of blending to prepare this amazing tropical smoothie cafe copycat recipe! You’re going to see how thick the texture turns out. It’s the perfect combination of creamy and refreshing!
- Add liquids. Start by pouring the orange juice and maple syrup into your blender. Give it a quick pulse to combine the ingredients.
- Add frozen fruit. The next step is to put the frozen strawberries, pineapple pieces, and mango chunks in the blender.
- Blend until smooth. Process on high speed until everything is smooth and creamy. If necessary, adjust the mixture with additional orange juice.
- Serve. Divide the smoothie between glasses and serve garnished with fresh strawberries, mango chunks, and pineapple. Enjoy immediately!
Tips for success
Sunrise sunset tropical smoothie is super easy to make, but there are these 3 easy tips to keep in mind so you can create the best smoothie possible.
- Let frozen fruit soften slightly. The secret to smooth, chunk-free smoothies is to let frozen fruit sit on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes before getting started. You don’t want the fruit fully thawed, just a little softer, so they blend into a creamy consistency.
- Add the liquids first. The smoothie will blend up better if you add the orange juice and maple syrup first, and then layer the solid fruit pieces on top.
- Chill your serving glasses. That way, your sunrise sunset smoothie will stay thick and fresh for longer. I simply put my tumblers into the fridge before getting started. By the time the smoothie is ready, they are nice and cold.
Variations & toppings
Not only is this sunrise sunset tropical smoothie absolutely delicious as is, but you can easily customize and garnish the recipe according to your personal preferences. Here are a few ideas to try!
- Creamy: For a creamy drink, add 1 cup of Greek yogurt or vanilla yogurt. Use coconut cream for a dairy-free version.
- Citrusy: Swap out the orange juice for other citrus juices like lemon, lime, blood orange, or grapefruit.
- Sweetener: Substitute maple syrup with the same amount of honey, agave syrup, or brown rice syrup. Of course, you can also omit the sweetener from the recipe.
- Watermelon: I’ve had great success making this smoothie with frozen watermelon chunks in place of strawberries.
- Protein: To make the sunrise sunset smoothie even more nourishing, add hemp hearts, chia seeds, or your favorite protein powder.
- Toppings: And don’t forget your toppings! I went for strawberries and pineapple. Granola, a sprinkle of seeds or honey drizzle would also be delicious.
Make-ahead & storage instructions
Making sunrise sunset tropical smoothie ahead of time
To make this recipe in advance, blend the smoothie 1 day ahead of time. Store the smoothie in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
Storing sunrise smoothie
- Fridge: Packed airtight, the smoothie will last 1 to 2 days in the refrigerator. I recommend re-blending if you notice separation.
- Freezer: Prepare the smoothie as indicated and pour it into freezer-safe jars. Freeze the sealed jars for 2 to 3 months. Allow to defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Popsicles: For a quick, grab-and-go snack and breakfast idea, pour the prepared smoothie into popsicle molds and freeze for up to 3 months.
More smoothie recipes
If you like this sunrise smoothie recipe, you might also enjoy some of our other smoothie recipes:
- Bahama Mama Smoothie
- Mango Magic Smoothie
- Peanut Paradise Smoothie
- Triple Berry Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie
- Angel Food Smoothie
- Kiwi Quencher Smoothie