Velveeta beef stroganoff with ground meat and mushrooms is a cheesy, hearty dinner that your whole family will love. The easy dish is ready in 30 minutes using everyday ingredients, perfect for busy weeknights!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Velveeta stroganoff with ground beef
If you’re in a pinch and need an easy dinner recipe that even picky eaters in the house will enjoy, Velveeta beef stroganoff is the perfect choice! It’s a super satisfying meal and whips up in less than 30 minutes.
Hearty ground beef and tender egg noodles taste delicious in a thick, creamy sauce that is loaded with mushrooms and cheese.
The recipe combines cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta cheese to create the most irresistible, smooth sauce that covers every bite in creamy, cheesy goodness.
It is a great addition to your weeknight dinner routine and tastes good enough for any special occasion!
Reasons to love Velveeta beef stroganoff
- Easy comfort food: Velveeta stroganoff is full of meaty, cheesy flavors. You’ll get delicious browned beef and tender pasta in a wonderfully creamy sauce!
- Simple ingredients: All ingredients in this beef stroganoff with cheese are basic pantry staples that you likely have already in your kitchen.
- One pot meal: This Velveeta meal is super easy to prepare! It comes together in less than 30 minutes, and you’ll only need a large pot or skillet, a lid, and a cooking spoon.
- Family favorite: Cheesy beef stroganoff is excellent to feed the entire family. It’s a hearty American recipe that even the pickiest eaters will love.
This Velveeta beef stroganoff recipe uses simple ingredients you can find at your local grocery store or already waiting in your pantry and fridge! Scroll down to the recipe card to see the exact measurements.
- Ground beef: I prefer lean ground beef because it doesn’t have to be drained, but you could also use a fattier ground beef like ground chuck.
- Onion (optional) gives the dish lots of flavor. Feel free to substitute 1 tablespoon onion powder.
- Mushrooms (optional): I love cremini mushrooms in this dish. To speed up prep, buy pre-sliced mushrooms.
- Egg noodles work best here because they cook quickly and cling well to the sauce.
- Water is needed to cook the pasta. If you want this dish extra savory, use beef broth or chicken broth in place of the water.
- Cream of mushroom soup makes up the base of the sauce.
- Velveeta cheese melts into the cream of mushroom soup. It gives the sauce an incredibly creamy consistency and rich, smooth mouthfeel.
- Salt + black pepper to season the dish.
How to make Velveeta beef stroganoff
Velveeta stroganoff is easy to make in one pot in just a few simple steps. Here’s the process step-by-step:
#1: Brown meat
- Add the ground beef, onion, and mushrooms to a large skillet. Break the meat apart and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, occasionally stirring, until the beef is browned and the onion smells fragrant, about 4 to 5 minutes.
#2: Cook egg noodles
- Pour the water into the skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Tip the pasta into the skillet and make sure that each noodle is submerged in water. Cover the skillet with a lid and continue cooking over medium-high heat for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the noodles are tender. Stir every minute or so.
#3: Melt cheese
- Add the Velveeta and cream of mushroom soup. Simmer on medium-low flame until the cheese is completely melted and the mixture is well blended, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Serve Velveeta stroganoff hot and garnish with chopped chives or parsley if desired.
- Protein substitute: Swap out ground beef for ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground sausage.
- Other soup: Try the recipe with cream of broccoli soup, cream of bacon soup, cream of celery soup, cream of onion soup, or cream of asparagus soup.
- Add veggies: Stir cooked veggies such as roasted broccoli, cooked carrots, or peas into your Velveeta skillet meal.
- More cheese: For any extra cheesy beef stroganoff, top the dish with grated cheddar cheese. Next, put it under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheddar has melted and looks golden brown.
- Lighter dish: Use lean ground beef and 98% fat-free condensed cream of mushroom soup to lighten up your Velveeta dinner.
Serve Velveeta beef stroganoff as dressed-up or dressed down as you like. It makes a great, filling meal as is, and plays well with all kinds of sides. I love serving it with a simple green salad, garlic bread, and Italian cheese bread.
What is beef stroganoff?
Classic beef stroganoff is a Russian dish featuring beef, mushrooms, and onions, cooked in a sour cream sauce. It’s often served over pasta, though many variations exist.
How do you thicken Velveeta beef stroganoff?
Cheesy stroganoff thickens naturally, and there is no need for a thickener. Stirring in the Velveeta and cream of mushroom soup makes the sauce thick on its own.
If, for some reason, your sauce isn’t as thick as you like, adding more cubed Velveeta cheese will make it thicker.
What cut of meat is best for Velveeta stroganoff?
Traditional beef stroganoff is made with tender cuts that cook quickly, such as ribeye or sirloin steak. However, this recipe uses ground beef instead for this easy ground beef stroganoff recipe.
How to store Velveeta beef stroganoff
After your cheesy stroganoff is cooked, let it cool completely before placing it in an airtight container. Then store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Can you freeze Velveeta stroganoff?
Yes, you can freeze this Velveeta meal. Let the dish cool completely, then transfer it into a freezer-friendly container and place it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Reheat cheesy beef stroganoff
If your Velveeta stroganoff was frozen, defrost it in the refrigerator first. Then, either after thawing or just storing in the fridge, reheat the dish in a hot pan on the stovetop.
Alternately, reheat the dish in the oven covered at 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4 until warmed through. You can also reheat individual portions in the microwave.
More easy dinner recipes
If you loved this Velveeta stroganoff, I have a few more family-friendly dinner ideas you want to try. Don’t buy expensive take-out, when you can cook the best comforting meals as well as any chef!