Let’s bake caramel doughnuts with a sticky-sweet glaze! First, we whip up a brown sugar batter, and then make a rich and creamy caramel glaze from scratch. These baked doughnuts are super soft and fudgy, and taste perfect with a glass of milk. If you like donuts, also check out our applesauce doughnuts.
More caramel recipes
Do you love caramel and fudge as much as we do? Then check out this collection of sticky sweet caramel recipe!
- kitchen scale or measuring cups and spoons
- large metal spoon
- large and small mixing bowls
- electric hand-held or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment
- rubber spatula
- disposable piping bag
- 12-hole doughnut tin (pan)
- oven mitt or kitchen towel
- cooling rack
- heavy-bottom sauce pan
- wooden spoon
Shelf life and storage
The doughnuts taste best on the day they’re made, and keep fresh for up to 3 days at room temperature.
3 hours 13 minutes
150 g (3/4 cup) brown sugar
3 tbsp melted butter
1 egg (UK & Europe: M / US, CA, AUS, NZ: L)
160 ml (2/3 cup) cream
150 g (1 1/4 cups) flour
1 tsp baking powder
200 g (1 cup) brown sugar
6 tbsp butter
300 ml heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prep Work. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F / gas mark 3). Grease a 12-hole doughnut tin and generously flour the tin (pan).
- Mix the batter. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and melted butter. Stir in the egg and vanilla extract. Then add the cream, flour and baking powder, and mix until well combined.
- Bake the doughnuts. Transfer the batter into a piping bag, and fill each mold 2/3 with batter. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until a cake tester or skewer inserted in the middle of a doughnut comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for an hour.
- Make the glaze. To make the glaze, add the brown sugar and butter into a heavy-bottom sauce over medium high-heat and bring to a simmer. Cook the mixture until the sugar and butter have completely melted, and stir constantly so the caramel doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan. Take off the heat, and add the cream and vanilla extract. Return to the heat, and cook on low heat until everything comes together. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Decorate the doughnuts. Dip each doughnut in the glaze once it’s cool enough to handle. Place on a wire rack and decorate with caramel sauce, fudge bits and chopped nuts.