This creamy Cheesecake Factory lemon piccata recipe is an easy and delicious one-pot meal ready in 30 minutes. You get perfectly golden-brown, tender chicken, topped with a rich and bright lemon sauce, tangy capers, and fresh herbs.
Copycat Cheesecake Factory chicken piccata
One of my favorite meals at Cheesecake Factory is their creamy lemon chicken piccata. It’s delicious sauteed chicken breast with a creamy lemon sauce, capers, mushrooms, and served with angel hair pasta.
CF lemon chicken piccata is always requested at my house, so I decided to create a copycat recipe. I Love how simple and quick this restaurant-worthy dish is!
The chicken is super tender and has a delicious breading on the outside. My version doesn’t skimp on the lemon sauce – and you’ll love that the sauce is rich and creamy, with just the right amount of lemon juice and capers.
It’s quick enough for a midweek meal, yet elegant enough to serve guests on a weekend dinner party. And something everyone will love!
My favorite part is that it’s a one-pot meal that is ready to eat in about 30 minutes. That also means easy clean-up!
If chicken is a favorite at your house, you’ll have to try my chicken pot pie, Arby’s chicken salad recipe, and Chick Fil A chicken noodle soup next! They are delicious dinner ideas your entire family will love!
Ready to make chicken piccata perfection? Then let’s chat about the Cheesecake Factory chicken piccata ingredients! As always, please refer to the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Chicken: I recommend boneless skinless chicken breasts, but chicken tenders will also work. Pound them flat to cook more evenly.
- Lemons: You need fresh lemon juice for the sauce and lemon wedges to garnish the dish.
- Capers give chicken piccata its unique flavor. You can find them in the condiment or international section of grocery stores or supermarkets, often near the pickles and olives.
- Mushrooms: Cremini or portobellomushrooms will taste best here.
- Chicken broth makes up the base of the sauce. Chicken stock is fine as well.
- Heavy cream: A small amount of heavy cream adds a deliciously rich consistency to the sauce.
- All-purpose flour creates the breading on the chicken and helps to thicken the piccata sauce.
- Olive oil to fry the chicken in.
- Butter is used for cooking the chicken and for the lemon sauce.
- Salt and pepper to season the dish. Use freshly cracked black pepper for the best taste.
- Fresh parsley for extra flavor and garnishing.
- Angel hair pasta: You can also opt for spaghetti or tagliatelle noodles.
How to make Cheesecake Factory chicken piccata
Chicken piccata with mushrooms and capers is super simple! It’s helpful to have all ingredients measured and laid out before cooking. From there, you just cook the different components in a skillet until done!
#1: Bread chicken
- Salt and pepper each side of the chicken breasts.
- Fill the flour into a shallow bowl. Then dredge the chicken in the flour until coated.
#2: Cook chicken
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat.
- Carefully put the chicken breasts into the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the skillet and keep warm.
#3: Fry mushrooms
- Add a tablespoon of butter and the mushrooms. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, occasionally stirring, until softened.
- Transfer the mushrooms out of the pan and set aside.
#4: Sautee garlic
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add 3 tablespoons of butter and the garlic cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan. Cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring.
#5: Cook sauce
- Slowly pour the chicken broth, lemon juice, and cream into the pan. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Simmer until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the capers.
#6: Finish cooking
- Return the chicken breasts and mushrooms to the skillet. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes to warm everything up.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and fresh parsley if desired. Serve immediately over freshly cooked angel hair pasta. Enjoy!
This yummy Cheesecake Factory chicken piccata recipe is pretty straightforward, but I still want to share a few tips and tricks to make it even easier!
- Pound the chicken: Make sure your chicken breasts are fairly thin! Either pound each cutlet thin or slice it in half – either way, it will create the thickness you are looking for.
- Cook in batches: Depending on the size of your pan or skillet, you may need to fry the chicken in batches to avoid crowding and get it all nicely cooked.
- Use fresh lemons: Skip bottled lemon juice – it will not taste the same. Fresh lemons really bring this dish together.
- Rinse the capers: Capers tend to be salty. Rinse the capers in a kitchen sieve under running water for a balanced flavor before adding to the sauce.
- Don’t skip the flour: It helps to brown the chicken nicely on the outside and gives the piccata sauce something to cling to.
- Add fresh parsley: It adds freshness and a nice pop of color.
What to serve with chicken piccata
So what goes well with chicken piccata? As mentioned, angel hair pasta is what Cheesecake Factory serves with this dish. Here are a few more chicken piccata sides ideas:
- Pasta: You can’t go wrong with other types of pasta, such as fettuccine, spaghetti, tagliatelle, or linguine.
- Mashed potatoes: Yummy mashed potatoes are another fantastic pairing for creamy chicken piccata.
- Veggies: A side of tender veggies is an excellent addition to this. Try sauteed broccoli, baked zucchini, roasted Brussels sprouts, or fried carrots.
- Bread: Bread, buns, rolls, and fluffy breadsticks are perfect for sopping up extra sauce.
- Garlic bread: Warm, homemade garlic bread makes any meal special.
- Salad: I also love to serve a simple green salad or spinach caprese salad alongside this chicken piccata pasta.
How to store chicken piccata
Another reason why this Cheesecake Factory chicken piccata recipe is the best: It makes tasty leftovers! Here are some tips to store and reheat it:
- Store: Keep the chicken in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for up to 4 days.
- Tip: It’s best to store the chicken and pasta in separate containers so the noodles don’t get soggy.
- Reheat: When you’re ready to heat, place the desired amount on a microwave-safe plate and zap until warmed up. Cover the chicken with a microwave-friendly bowl to prevent splattering.
- Freezing: I don’t recommend freezing this chicken piccata recipe because the sauce can split after thawing.
- 1 lb / 450 g chicken breasts, cut breasts in half horizontally and pounded thin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup / 40 g / 1.4 oz all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz / 225 g portobello mushrooms, sliced
- sprinkle of salt
- sprinkle of pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup / 240 ml / 8 fl oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml / 2 fl oz heavy cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Prep chicken breasts. To get large chicken breasts thin, cut them in half, staring at the thicker edge and cutting through the middle. Then pound until 1/4 inch thick.
- Bread chicken. Salt and pepper each side of the chicken breasts. Fill the flour into a shallow bowl. Then dredge the chicken in the flour until coated.
- Cook chicken. Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Carefully put the chicken breasts into the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts from the skillet and keep warm.
- Fry mushrooms. Add a tablespoon of butter and the mushrooms. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, occasionally stirring, until softened. Transfer the mushrooms out of the pan and set aside.
- Sautee garlic. Reduce the heat to medium. Add 3 tablespoons of butter and the garlic cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle the flour into the pan. Cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring.
- Cook sauce. Slowly pour the chicken broth, lemon juice, and cream into the pan. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Simmer until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the capers.
- Finish cooking. Return the chicken breasts and mushrooms to the skillet. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes to warm everything up.
- Serve. Garnish with lemon wedges and fresh parsley if desired. Serve immediately over freshly cooked angel hair pasta. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 477Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 1056mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 40g
What is chicken piccata?
“Piccata” is an Italian term that means “larded.” In cooking, piccata describes meat that is sliced, dredged in flour, seared, and then served with a lemon butter sauce.
What are capers?
If you have never eaten capers before, Cheesecake Factory chicken piccata recipe is the perfect introduction.
Capers are the underripe flower buds of the caper bush, a perennial shrub that grows in the Mediterranean regions of Europe like Italy and Greece.
Capers are picked and pickled, which gives them their tangy, salty, and briny aroma that is so delicious.
This pea-sized condiment adds incredible flavor, and a little goes a long way. They are typically added to salads, pasta, chicken, meat, and fish.
What is a capers substitute in piccata?
As mentioned, capers are an integral part of chicken piccata and contribute to the fantastic flavor of the dish. But if you are looking for a substitute for capers in chicken piccata anyway, try chopped green olives. They mimic the briny taste of capers really well.
Do I have to add flour to the piccata sauce?
The flour helps to thicken up the creamy lemon piccata sauce. I think without it, the sauce would be too runny.
If you need a gluten-free sauce and can’t use flour, you can achieve similar results with a bit of cornstarch.
Can I make chicken piccata without cream?
Of course! You can make chicken piccata without cream! If you do so, increase the chicken broth to 1 1/4 cups.
Can I add wine to the piccata sauce?
Sure! For a grown-up version, replace half of the broth with a dry white wine. Chardonnay is a good choice. Otherwise, use your favorite white wine.
Reasons to love this Cheesecake Factory chicken piccata recipe
- Delicious sauce: The sauce has a lovely creamy texture and the perfect amount of tang from the lemon juice and capers.
- Tender chicken: The chicken is pan-seared to perfection. The outside is golden brown and slightly crispy, while the inside is tender and juicy.
- Quick to make: This recipe will help you get dinner on the table fast – in about 30 minutes.
More Cheesecake Factory recipes
If you love Cheesecake Factory as much as we do, you’ll enjoy our other copycat recipes as well! Try them all, and let me know your favorite (if you can pick one)!
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Chicken Marsala
- Parmesan Herb Crusted Chicken
- Miso Salmon
- Creamy Chicken and Biscuits
- Strawberry Shortcake
Other chicken recipes
Chicken is so versatile and can be used in all sorts of dishes and cuisines. If you want a new recipe to try, I’ve got you covered with more family-friendly chicken dishes!