This copycat Cheesecake Factory parmesan herb crusted chicken recipe is the best chicken dinner! Chicken breasts are dredged in an herby parmesan and breadcrumb coating and then pan-fried until golden brown and deliciously crispy. Add it to your dinner plan this week!
Easy copycat Cheesecake Factory chicken parmesan
Chicken breast recipes don’t have to be bland. And that’s where this Cheesecake Factory parmesan herb crusted chicken recipe comes in.
This parmesan herb crusted chicken is so tasty and flavorful, it’ll seriously blow you away with how delicious it is! And guess what the best part is?
There isn’t much work required to make it. Just a few simple steps are all you need to follow to put together this restaurant-style meal.
And even better yet, this Cheesecake Factory chicken comes together in less than 30 minutes! Yup, you can have a hearty, filling dinner that the whole family will love in no time!
Parmesan crusted chicken is easy enough for a quick midweek dinner but also special enough for entertaining.
Here’s a list of ingredients needed to make this delicious Cheesecake Factory parmesan crusted chicken. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card below for specific measurements.
- Chicken: You’ll need 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts that will be pounded down for thinner portions that cook more evenly.
- All-purpose flour is the dry base layer that helps the eggs cling to the chicken.
- Eggs make up the second layer to help the parmesan and breadcrumbs stick.
- Italian breadcrumbs make the breading crispy and add a hint of herbal flavor. In a pinch, standard breadcrumbs will work well too.
- Parmesan cheese: I highly recommend freshly grate parmesan cheese from a cheese block for the best taste. Pre-grated parmesan is drier and less aromatic.
- Italian seasoning is a tasty herby addition to this herbed parmesan chicken and adds extra flavor.
- Garlic powder adds a nice zingy flavor.
- Salt + pepper to season the chicken and breading.
- Butter + olive oil: I like to pan-fry my chicken in a blend of olive oil and butter. Use standard refined olive oil (not extra virgin), which withstands high temperatures. Of course, you can also use all butter or all oil.
How to make Cheesecake Factory Parmesan Herb Crusted Chicken
In just 20 minutes, you could be munching away on delicious Cheesecake Factory chicken – all made in the comfort of your kitchen. What are you waiting for? Here are the instructions with step-by-step photos:
#1: Set up 3 large, shallow bowls
- Pour the flour into the first bowl.
- Beat the eggs until combined in the second bowl.
- In the third bowl, toss together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh herbs.
#2: Dredge in flour
- Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, dredge both sides in flour.
- Shake off any excess until just a light coating remains.
#3: Coat in egg mixture
- Then dip the chicken in the eggs and turn to coat evenly.
- Lift and let the excess run back into the bowl.
#4: Coat in breadcrumb mixture
- Transfer the chicken breast into the breadcrumb parmesan mixture and turn a few times, pressing the mixture in to coat well.
- Transfer the breaded chicken to a plate and repeat with the rest.
#5: Cook chicken
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large, non-stick saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the fat is hot, add 1 to 2 breasts to a preheated pan. Cook until the bottom is golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes.
- Flip the chicken breasts over and continue cooking until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Enjoy!
Tips for success
Are you prepared for some seriously tasty garlic herb crusted chicken? Pay attention to these easy tips and tricks, and you’ll be well on your way to making Cheesecake Factory parmesan crusted chicken from scratch.
- Be sure to use thin chicken pieces so the chicken cooks evenly and reduces the cooking time. With thicker portions, the exterior can burn by the time the interior is cooked through. You can pound the chicken to create an even thickness.
- Butterfly thick chicken breasts: If your chicken pieces are thick, simply cut the chicken breast in half, similar to a hamburger bun.
- Use good quality Parmigiano Reggiano for the best taste.
- Shred your own cheese: Freshly shred the cheese and grate it fine so it sticks to the chicken and melts more evenly. Definitely skip the pre-shredded parmesan cheese because that’s finished with a powdery coating and won’t melt smoothly.
- Press the coating on: When coating, press your chicken breast firmly in the breading before flipping and repeating. This helps the crust to stick to the chicken.
- Watch the interior temperature of the chicken with an instant-read thermometer. Aim for 165°F / 74°C, at what point the chicken is safe to eat. Be careful not to go much past that, otherwise, the chicken breasts start to dry out.
- Don’t crowd the pan. Cook chicken in 2 to 3 batches so the pan isn’t crowded and therefore cooks more evenly and browns better.
Cheesecake Factory typically serves their parmesan herb crusted chicken with mashed potatoes and sautéed green beans. It is easy to see why because this pairing is absolutely delicious!
With that being said, parmesan herb crusted chicken pairs great with all kinds of different side dishes. We love it with green veggies, like a bit of broccoli, some peas, or asparagus.
A simple green salad, Tortellini salad, breadsticks, a slice of garlic bread, Bisquick cornbread, or Italian cheese bread also make fantastic sides for this Cheesecake Factory parmesan-crusted chicken recipe.
You don’t have to even have to serve it for dinner. Grab a fluffy sandwich roll, a spoonful of marinara sauce, and some cheese, and create a chicken parmesan sandwich.
Feel free to swap a few ingredients to customize your Cheesecake Factory parmesan herb crusted chicken.
- Fresh garlic: Feel free to swap the garlic powder for fresh garlic. Add 2 minced garlic gloves to the butter.
- Onion powder: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder instead or in addition to the garlic powder.
- Panko breadcrumbs: For super crispy parmesan chicken, replace the Italian breadcrumbs with panko breadcrumbs.
- Pecorino cheese: Swap out parmesan for pecorino cheese. Pecorino is similar to parmesan, but it’s made from sheep’s milk and has a sharper flavor.
- Fresh herbs: Replace the Italian seasoning with 2 to 3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh herbs. I like to use a mix of parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary, and marjoram.
- Lemon zest: Add the finely grated zest of a lemon to the breadcrumb mixture for a hint of lemony zing.
- Store: Keep leftover Cheesecake Factory chicken parmesan in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: For the best results, reheat the chicken at 400°F / 200°C / gas mark 6 until warm. Microwaving will work in a pinch, but the crust won’t be crispy.
- Freeze: You can store your Cheesecake Factory chicken in the freezer for up to 4 months. To freeze, place chicken breasts on a lined baking sheet and freeze until solid. Then transfer it into a freezer bag for storage. This prevents the chicken breast from sticking together.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1½ pounds)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup / 30 ml / 1 fl oz olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter / 30 g / 1 oz unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup / 60 g / 2 oz all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup / 70 g / 2.5 oz Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup / 45 g / 1.5 oz finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Flatten chicken breasts. Cover the chicken breasts on both sides with plastic wrap and pound until 1/4 inch / 0.6 cm thick with the flat side of a meat mallet.
- Set up 3 large, shallow bowls. Pour the flour into the first bowl. Beat the eggs until combined in the second bowl. In the third bowl, toss together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh herbs.
- Season chicken. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Dredge in flour. Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, dredge both sides in flour. Shake off any excess until just a light coating remains.
- Coat in egg mixture. Then dip the chicken in the eggs and turn to coat evenly. Lift and let the excess run back into the bowl.
- Coat in breadcrumb mixture. Transfer the chicken breast into the breadcrumb parmesan mixture and turn a few times, pressing the mixture in to coat well. Transfer the breaded chicken to a plate and repeat with the rest.
- Heat pan. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large, non-stick saucepan or skillet over medium heat.
- Cook chicken. Once the fat is hot, add 1 to 2 breasts to the preheated pan. Cook until the bottom is golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat slightly if you find the chicken is browning too quickly.
- Flip and check doneness. Flip the chicken breasts over and continue cooking until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. The chicken is ready when the center registers 165°F / 74°C on an instant-read thermometer.
- Rest. Transfer the cooked chicken to a wire rack to drain, leaving the fat in the pan. Repeat the cooking process with the reaming chicken breasts, adding more oil and butter as needed.
- Garnish and serve. Serve the parmesan herb chicken garnished with parsley and lemon wedges on the side if desired.
Chicken Breast Size
If the chicken breasts are large (weighing more than 8 oz / 230 g), I recommend cutting them in half once they are pounded out. You can also cut them in half horizontally before flattening.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 594mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 32g
Can I bake this parmesan herb crusted chicken in the oven?
Yes, but the chicken will not come as crispy and golden brown. You’ll need a baking sheet with a wire rack so air can circulate around the chicken. Here is what to do:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C / gas mark 6.
- Prepared the chicken as instructed and place it on the rack.
- Lightly spray the chicken with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Bake until the internal temperature reaches 165°F / 74°C, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Can I cook the parmesan crusted chicken in the Air Fryer?
Yes. Read through the tips below if you’re inclined to try it:
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 375°F / 190°C.
- To avoid the crust sticking to the Air Fryer basket, spray the basket with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Cook until the chicken reaches 165°F / 74°C. Small breasts take 7 to 10 minutes, medium breasts 10 to 12 minutes, and large breasts 12 to 16 minutes.
- Flip the chicken halfway through cooking.
Can I substitute skinless boneless chicken thighs?
Yes, you can, but they will take longer to cook. Brown the thighs in a sauté pan on the stove as directed. Then finish them off on a baking sheet in a 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4 oven. Start checking them for doneness after about 12 to 15 minutes.
Reasons to try parmesan herb crusted chicken
Cheesecake Factory parmesan herb chicken is pretty delicious, but this homemade version is even better. Here are some of the reasons why you have to try it:
- Simple ingredients: This quick chicken recipe requires only chicken breasts and a few pantry staples.
- Amazing taste and texture: You get a tender, juicy chicken with a perfectly seasoned, crunchy crust.
- Great weeknight meal: Herb-crusted chicken comes together in a pinch. It’s a great dinner recipe for busy weeknights (or any time you need an easy, satisfying food).
- Perfect copycat: This is a restaurant-worthy yet kid-friendly dish that tastes just like Cheesecake Factory!
More chicken recipes to try
My family loves chicken recipes, so naturally, we have more tasty chicken recipes on the site. Here are some of my other favorites for you to try next: