Crispy oven roasted drumsticks are a simple and healthy chicken recipe your family will love! This easy baked chicken drumsticks recipe requires only 10 minutes prep and 4 ingredients. The tutorial shows how to bake chicken legs from start to finish.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Crispy baked chicken drumsticks recipe – Delicious oven fried chicken legs
Sometimes the simple recipes taste just as good as the complicated ones, right? Take this baked chicken drumsticks recipe, for example. It’s super simple, but SO good, even though it’s incredibly easy.
I love making easy oven roasted chicken legs for a quick dinner or healthy meal prep. All this savory chicken recipe needs is a little fat, seasonings, and the right cooking technique. These small tweaks will turn this meal into the best chicken drumstick recipe!
Why you’ll love this easy chicken drumstick recipe
Once you know how to cook chicken legs in the oven, you’ll make them again and again. Here’s is why you’ll love this baked chicken legs recipe:
- easy – You don’t have to be a master chef to cook this crispy oven baked chicken legs recipe!
- quick – Easy baked chicken legs in oven require only 10 minutes prep!
- minimal ingredients – You only need 4 basic ingredients (7 if you use more spices)!
- versatile – Serve this healthy chicken drumstick recipe for lunch, as a snack, party food or quick midweek dinner or take it on an outdoor picnic.
- family favourite – Your family is going to love this easy chicken recipe! Honestly, I have never met a picky eater who didn’t like oven roasted chicken legs.
- delicious leftovers – They taste delicious the next day and are great cold.
Are chicken drumsticks healthy?
Yes, oven roasted chicken drumsticks are healthy. Chicken is a lean meat and has a very high protein content, which is important for sustaining our muscles. It’s also an excellent source for calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, which are need for bone health, Vitamin B5 and amino acids.
Keto chicken drum sticks – Are chicken drumsticks keto friendly?
Yes, this easy chicken drumstick recipe is keto-friendly, low carb and gluten-free. The higher fat content makes drumsticks a great Keto chicken recipe. Many baked chicken leg recipes are made with sugar or breadcrumbs, but my version contains only keto-approved ingredients.
How to make crispy baked chicken drumsticks in the oven – Easy roasted chicken legs
Cooking chicken legs in the oven is a healthy way to cook drumsticks. But first things first: Do you leave the skin on chicken legs? Yes, it stays on. The chicken skin will get super crispy during baking and protects the tender meat from drying out.
Here is the best method for how to cook chicken drumsticks:
Prepping chicken legs for baking
We have to prep the meat for best crispy chicken drumsticks. No worries, it’s EASY! Here is how to prepare chicken legs for baking:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F / 220°C / gas mark 7.
- Line a shallow baking sheet/tray with foil for easy cleanup and put a heat-resistant baking rack on the baking sheet/tray. Using a rack, allows the air to circulate around the drumsticks so that all sides get crispy.
- Using paper towels, pat the chicken dry to remove any extra moisture.
How to season chicken legs – Spices for baked chicken legs
What can I put on drumsticks? To make my easy oven drumsticks dry rub, combine the following ingredients in a small mixing bowl:
After the spice rub is ready, season the chicken drumsticks:
- Add the spice rub, olive oil and chicken into a large ziplock bag. Shut the ziplock bag tightly.
- Toss the drumsticks around and massage each piece to make sure it is well coated in the oil and spices.
How to bake chicken drumsticks
Now that the chicken legs are ready, it’s time for baking! Here is how to roast chicken drumsticks in the oven:
- Arrange the chicken legs in an even layer on the prepared baking rack, leaving a little space in between them.
- Roast in the preheated oven until golden brown and crispy.
How long to cook drumsticks in oven?
How long does it take for drumsticks to cook in the oven? The total baking time for average-sized drumsticks is 35 to 40 minutes.
- Bake the chicken legs for 25 minutes. Then flip the drumsticks and cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until cooked through.
What temp should chicken drumsticks be?
The healthy baked drumsticks should be cooked until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick (not touching the bone) reads 165°F / 75°C. The safe internal temperature is usually reached after 30 to 35 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken legs.
What to serve with chicken drumsticks?
What should I serve with drumsticks? Oven roasted chicken legs pair with almost any side dish! I often serve them with a side of fries, bread, mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash. My family also enjoys baked chicken legs and rice.
For a light chicken dinner, try roasted veggies, cooked green beans or a simple green salad.
Another idea is to serve the crispy baked chicken legs as a snack or appetiser. Arrange the easy oven baked chicken legs on a large serving platter and put a dip or sauce in the middle. This easy oven roasted chicken drumsticks recipe is one of my hubby’s favourite healthy game day snack ideas.
Can I prepare roasted chicken drumsticks ahead of time?
Yes! To save time, you can prepare the this healthy chicken legs recipe one night in advance. Season the chicken legs and let them marinate in the ziplock bag in the fridge overnight. This way, the drumstick are ready to bae after a long workday.
How to store oven baked chicken drumsticks
How do I store this healthy chicken drumstick recipe?
Allow leftovers to cool completely and store in an airtight food container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How do you reheat crispy skin baked chicken drumsticks?
Reheat the easy chicken recipe in a 350°F / 180°C oven. For an extra crispy chicken skin, broil the drumsticks for 1 to 2 minutes.
Can you freeze chicken drumsticks?
Yes, you can freeze drum sticks. Follow the instructions below to freeze roasted chicken legs:
- raw chicken drumsticks: Place the drumsticks in a single layer on a lined baking sheet/tray and freeze. Once frozen, transfer them into a freezer bag and store for up to 9 months. You can also freeze the seasoned chicken drums sticks.
- oven baked chicken legs: To freeze cooked chicken drumsticks, place them in a freezer bag and keep them for up to 6 months.
- defrost: When you’re ready to prepare the oven roasted chicken legs recipe, thaw the drumsticks in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight and reheat as described above.
Tools and supplies to make this easy baked chicken drumstick recipe
Tab or click the links below to shop the products I used to cook the easy chicken drumstick recipe:
- baking sheet/tray with cooling rack so the drumsticks are crispy all around
- foil to make the cleaning up afterwards easy
- ziplock bag to coat the chicken with oil and spices
- kitchen tongs to turn the hot chicken drumsticks while baking
- instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the simple oven roasted chicken legs
Over to you!
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.