See how to make elderberry gummies for kids and toddlers! The elderberry gummies recipe is easy to do and provides plenty of benefits. The homemade fruit snack can help to support the immune system during cold and flu season.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Homemade elderberry gummies recipe – Immunity boosting fruit snack for children
I’ve been making this elderberry gummies recipe for my family for a few years now. When I posted my kid’s elderberry syrup recently, I thought it would be helpful to share how to make elderberry gummies for kids, too.
Many parents look for the best immune support for toddlers and children during cold and flu season. Try these healthy vitamin gummies to give your immune system an extra boost and ward off sickness. The gummy snack recipe has plenty of fruity flavour without being too complicated, which makes it the best elderberry gummies recipe in my book!
What are elderberry gummies?
Elderberry gummies are a fruit snack that is made from elderberries. Elderberry syrup is cooked, mixed with gelatin, and then poured into a mould to form gummy bears or other shapes.
Homemade elderberry gummies ingredients
The ingredients for this simple elderberry gummies recipe are pretty common and easy to find. Here’s the basic list:
- elderberry syrup – You can make your own elderberry syrup or buy premade elderberry syrup. Learn more about the benefits of elderberry below!
- apple juice – I made elderberry gummies with apple juice, but you can also use 100% elderberry syrup. Other fruit juices work fine too, e.g. orange juice or aronia juice.
- grass-fed gelatin – Gelatin is needed so the gummy bears set. Gelatin is high in protein and has many health benefits. It may improve bone health, brain function and sleep. (source)
- honey (optional) – Honey is a healthy way to sweeten the elderberry gummies recipe if necessary.
- cooking spray – Greasing the mould with cooking spray helps to release the gummies. You can also use coconut oil.
Benefits of elderberry
What are elderberry gummies good for? Elderberries have long been cultivated to make natural remedies. The fruit is a rich source of vitamins and antioxidants known as anthocyanins. Anthocyanins have anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties, which are attributed to improving the body’s immune response.
Elderberries are said to have the following health benefits (source):
- boost the immune system
- prevent and ease cold and flu symptoms
- soothe joint and muscle pain
- lessen stress and headaches
- tame inflammation and fever
- improve skin conditions
Is elderberry safe for kids?
Yes, elderberry is safe for kids. Elderberry treats are an excellent supplement to give your kids around the cold and flu season and can provide immune support in children.
Elderberry gummies for toddlers
Please always supervise your toddler when giving her elderberry gummies. The gummies are very soft, which makes them easy for little mouths to eat. But elderberry fruit snacks can be a choking hazard for young children.
How to make elderberry gummies for kids
Whether you are eating elderberry gummies for immunity support or just because you are craving a healthy homemade snack, you’re going to love them! Here’s how to make elderberry gummies at home:
- Place the silicone mould on a tray or baking sheet. This helps to move the mould and avoid spillage.
- Lightly grease each cavity with cooking spray or coconut oil.
- Fill a medium mixing bowl with cold water and sprinkle with the gelatin. Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the elderberry syrup and apple juice.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high and cook, stirring regularly.
- Take the liquid off the heat and add the gelatin and whisk until the gelatin dissolves. Do not re-heat or boil the gummy bear mixture.
- Pour the gelatin mixture into the mould.
- If using a gummy bear mould, use a dropper to fill the cavities.
- Refrigerate until set, for about 3 hours.
- Release the elderberry gummies from the mould and store in an airtight container.
How many elderberry gummies does the recipe make?
The number of gummies depends on the mould size. I got approximately 35 gummies. A small bear mould will probably make 60 to 80 elderberry gummy bears.
You can also pour the gummy mixture in a greased casserole dish or sheet pan and cut them into squares.
Elderberry gummies FAQ
I have compiled a list of question and answers about this elderberry gummies for kids recipe. In case you have more questions, leave a comment and I’ll try my best to answer them.
Are elderberry gummies healthy?
Yes, this elderberry gummies recipe is healthy! They are made with simple, natural ingredients and offer a great source of vitamins and antioxidants.
Are elderberry gummies gluten free?
Yes, this gummy snack recipe is naturally gluten-free!
Are homemade elderberry gummies paleo friendly?
Yes, this easy deviled eggs recipe is paleo-friendly!
Can you take elderberry gummies daily for immune support?
Is it safe to take elderberry gummies daily? Yes, you can take daily elderberry gummies to strengthen your immune system. You can eat the gummies all year long, not just in the winter months.
How many elderberry gummies can you take?
If you want to add a little pep to your immune system, make elderberry gummies part of your diet. Here is how much can be consumed:
- when everyone is healthy: 1 elderberry gummy per day (large mould) or 3 (gummy bear mould)
- elderberry gummies dosage when sick: 4 gummies per day (large mould) or 12 (gummy bear mould)
Please note that the elderberry gummies are a supplement, not a cure-all, and should never be used as a substitute for other prescription medications.
What are the side effects of elderberry?
Small quantities of elderberry are safe and will most likely have no side effects. Consuming large amounts may have a laxative effect or lead to digestive upset in some people.
Elderberry products may potentially interact with medications designed to suppress the immune system. Consult a doctor or medical caregiver if you have an auto-immune disorder, take diabetes medications, or are undergoing chemotherapy.
How long does it take for elderberry gummies to work?
Since everyone’s body functions differently, it’s hard to say how long it takes until you notice a positive effect.
Storage and shelf life
How long are elderberry gummies good for? Since this natural gummy bear recipe doesn’t contain any preservatives, the elderberry gummies can be stored in an airtight container for at room temperature for 2 weeks.
Heat melts gelatin so keep the elderberry gummies recipe away from heat sources and out of direct sunlight. If you live in a hot environment, it’s best to refrigerate the gummies.
Elderberry gummies troubleshooting
The gummies won’t set
There are a couple of reasons, why homemade gummy bears won’t set. Here are a few common mistakes you should avoid when making gelatin gummy treats:
- Gelatin needs to bloom before adding it to the other liquids. Blooming means to hydrate the gelatin with water.
- Gelatin should never be boiled, otherwise it will lose its gelling power.
- Use the gummy bear mixture right away after adding the gelatin. Gelatin begins to set immediately as it cools. Re-heating can impair the gelatin’s ability to harden.
I have never prepared elderberry gummies with pectin. So I can’t say if pectin would work in this recipe.
The gummies won’t come out of the mould
Put the gummies in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour, in case you have trouble releasing the gummies from the mould. After freezing, they should pop out easily.
Do elderberry gummies stick together?
No, elderberry gummy bears aren’t sticky and they usually don’t stick together. Homemade gummy bears will melt in heat. Simply store them in the fridge if you live in a hot climate.
Tools to make elderberry gummies for kids
Tab or click the links below to shop the products I used in this elderberry gummies recipe:
- saucepan – A heavy-bottom saucepan is ideal for many cooking jobs.
- cooking spoon – These cooking spoons are perfect for stirring and mixing ingredients.
- mixing bowls – These mixing bowls come in different size and I use them daily.
- silicone mould – I used these flower moulds. Of course, kids will also love this adorable gummy bear mould.
Printable Elderberry Gummy Labels
Tab or click the button below to download free printable elderberry gummies labels!
Over to you!
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.