Velveeta chicken spaghetti is the perfect quick, easy, and delicious weeknight dinner that will satisfy the whole family. The pasta dish is loaded with tender bites of chicken, spaghetti noodles, and veggies, all smothered in a creamy cheese sauce.
Chicken spaghetti with Velveeta
Are you in the mood for classic comfort food? Then you’re in the right place! This Velveeta chicken spaghetti recipe offers juicy chicken, tender noodles, and veggies, all tossed in a rich and creamy sauce. Does it get any better than this? Me thinks not.
This simple pasta dish is a meal your entire family will love. Plus, it’s ready in about 30 minutes, which is perfect for those busy days when you need delicious food on your table fast. After trying it once, you’ll want to whip this up for dinner every night!
Ready to delve into the amazingness that this Velveeta chicken spaghetti recipe is? You probably already have most of the ingredients for this pasta dish in your kitchen. Please scroll to the bottom of the post to see specific measurements.
- Spaghetti: The recipe calls for 1/2 lb pasta. You’ll want to cook the noodles al dente in plenty of salted water following the box instructions. Drain your pasta well and add a drizzle of oil to prevent sticking.
- Chicken breast: You’ll need 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 chicken breasts), cubed into smaller chunks. You can also throw in any leftover rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken that you may have in your fridge.
- Butter oryour favorite neutral cooking oil is needed to sauté the chicken and veggies.
- Vegetables: I used a mix of diced mini tomatoes and green peppers to add some color and texture.
- Canned soup makes up the base of the sauce. It’s up to you whether you prefer cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup. Both will create great flavor.
- Velveeta cheese melts into the sauce, giving it a delicious, creamy texture and mild cheesy flavor. Be sure to cube it up before cooking with it.
- Garlic (optional): I always add freshly minced garlic to boost the flavor.
- Seasonings: Salt and a bit of pepper are all you need here.
You want to grab a cutting board, a paring knife, a pot, a pasta strainer, a skillet, and a wooden spoon to prepare this dish.
How to make Velveeta chicken spaghetti
If there are 3 things my family loves, it’s chicken, pasta, and cheese. No surprise that this cheesy chicken spaghetti recipe frequently appears on our meal plan. Let’s go over the steps to make this tasty recipe!
#1: Cook spaghetti
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta following package instructions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and transfer it back into the pot. Stir in 1 tbsp butter until melted to keep the pasta from sticking. Set aside.
#2: Sauté chicken and veggies
- Over medium heat, sauté the chicken pieces in the remaining butter in a large skillet for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the green pepper and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
#3: Make sauce
- Pour the canned soup, diced tomatoes, and cubed Velveeta into the skillet.
- Reduce the stove to low heat and cook, frequently stirring, until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth.
#4: Assemble casserole
- Tip the spaghetti into the skillet and toss in the chicken-cheese mixture until well combined.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper according to your preference.
#5: Bake & serve
- Transfer the skillet to a 350°F oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve the easy chicken spaghetti with Velveeta right away and garnish with parsley or chopped green onion on top. Enjoy!
This simple baked Velveeta chicken spaghetti takes just 10 minutes to prep and is ready in just over half an hour. Here are a few cooking tips to help you make it the best:
- Cook the pasta just until al dente. Spaghetti that is ever so slightly undercooked holds up better when baked in the creamy cheese sauce.
- Cube the chicken breasts into smaller pieces to cook more evenly and mix well with the pasta.
- Go easy on the salt: Velveeta and soup have plenty of salt, so you may not need any salt. Mix the pasta, sauce, and chicken first, then do a taste test and adjust the seasoning from there.
Variations & substitutions
- Swap the pasta: You can swap in absolutely any type of pasta you like. Macaroni, penne, and other short pasta work just as well as linguine or angel hair pasta.
- Jalapeno Velveeta: For an extra spicy taste, prepare the recipe with jalapeno Velveeta.
- Try another protein: easy Velveeta chicken spaghetti tastes absolutely delicious with other types of meat. Try leftover turkey, cooked ground beef, pulled pork, diced ham, or even seafood such as lobster, shrimp, or salmon.
- Cheese it up: I don’t think you can ever have enough cheese in a dish. If you agree, stir 1 cup of freshly grated cheddar into the pasta and top it with another cup before baking to get a nice, golden cheese crust.
- Get creative with your veggies: Feel free to prepare this chicken cheese spaghetti with broccoli florets, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, peas, carrots, you name it!
- Use Rotel tomatoes: Replacing the veggies with diced canned Rotel tomatoes is a great shortcut and will save some time on prep. You’ll need a 10-oz can and don’t have to drain the tomatoes before use.
- Play with the seasonings: Customize the flavor by adding onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, or smoked paprika for a touch of smoky flavor. To up the spiciness, include diced canned green chiles.
- Make the sauce extra creamy: Try adding 8-oz cubed cream cheese to the sauce for an extra creamy, rich texture.
- Make it vegetarian: Simply skip the chicken and use cream of mushroom soup.
You can enjoy this easy chicken spaghetti recipe with Velveeta on its own, it’s a satisfying and filling meal. Of course, feel free to bulk it up with a side dish.
- Prep: Assemble the simple chicken spaghetti and place it in your casserole dish. Let it cool completely, then cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Bake: When it’s time to eat, cover with tin foil and bake the dish at 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4 for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for 7 to 12 more minutes. If desired, broil at 475°F / 250°C / gas mark 9 for a few minutes in the end.
How to store Velveeta chicken spaghetti
Tightly cover cooled leftovers with plastic wrap or foil. Store in the fridge and consume within 3 days.
To reheat, warm the pasta in a pot on the stove with a splash of water, milk, or broth until heated through.
Freeze chicken spaghetti with Velveeta
Transfer the spaghetti to a freezer-friendly storage container. Cover with a fitted lid or plastic wrap/tin foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
I suggest thawing completely before reheating to prevent mushy noodles. Again, add a splash of liquid and reheat on the stove or in the oven.
Please note that the texture of the sauce will differ a bit when reheated from frozen.
- 8 oz / 225 g uncooked spaghetti
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 lb / 450 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in / 2.5 cm pieces
- 1 cup / 150 g / 5.3 oz green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup / 150 g / 5.3 oz cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 x 10.5-oz / 300 g cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz / 225 g Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- Prep work. Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4.
- Cook spaghetti. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta following package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta and transfer it back into the pot. Stir in 1 tbsp butter until melted to keep the pasta from sticking. Set aside.
- Sauté chicken and veggies. Over medium heat, sauté the chicken pieces in the remaining butter in a large skillet for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the green pepper and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Make sauce. Pour the canned soup, diced tomatoes, and cubed Velveeta into the skillet. Reduce the stove to low heat and cook, frequently stirring, until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Assemble casserole. Tip the spaghetti into the skillet and toss in the chicken-cheese mixture until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper according to your preference.
- Bake. Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve. Serve the easy chicken spaghetti with Velveeta right away and garnish with parsley or chopped green onion on top. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 503Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 1421mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 36g
Reasons to love this easy chicken spaghetti recipe with Velveeta
- Super easy: With only a handful of easy steps, you’ll be pleased how effortless yet delightful this recipe is.
- Pantry staples: You probably have all the chicken spaghetti ingredients in your pantry. And if not, they are easy to find at your grocer.
- Comfort food: Cheesy chicken flavors baked into this dish taste like a big, warm hug. Pure comfort food!
- Kid-friendly: This flavorful pasta not only feeds a large family, but will even appeal to the pickiest of eaters.
More ways to cook with Velveeta
If you enjoy cooking with Velveeta, try some of our other recipes! They are easy to throw together and will be a hit with your family.
- Velveeta Cheese Sauce (For Pasta & Dipping)
- Mac and Cheese with Velveeta
- Velveeta Beef Stroganoff
- Velveeta Chili Cheese Dip
- Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
- Velveeta Scalloped Potatoes
More pasta dishes you’ll love
Homemade pasta is always a good idea! There are so many ways to prepare noodles, and I have you covered for more yummy recipes. Enjoy!