Going with our Starry Night holiday theme, we bake a chocolate star surprise inside cake! This loaf cake is made of three components, a yellow, almond-flavored pound cake baked into a moist chocolate batter and topped with a thick, creamy layer of our no-fail cream cheese icing and decorated with star sprinkles.
While the cake looks pretty but unsuspecting on the outside, it’s true beauty is revealed once you cut it open. This cake is perfect for any festive get-togethers our as a gift for cake lovers!
3 Tips for Best Results
We gave this cake three test runs to perfect the recipe and make sure you get a beautiful surprise inside effect. Here are 3 tips for best results:
1) The yellow cake stars must be frozen rock hard! If they still seem a little soft, put them back into the freezer.
2) Since the surprise inside is made of individual stars, chocolate batter will inevitably run in between them. Therefore cut out thick cake stars and try to place them as snuggly together as you can.
3) And when cutting the cake go for thinner slices so you find one that looks good.
✨ The Starry Night Holiday Collection
No matter what holiday you’re celebrating this time of year, we have fun and creative Starry Night themed recipes, crafts and tutorials lined up for you. Join us for delcious cakes, cookies and sweet treats, pretty flower arraning projects and nifty DIYs. Each week until Christmas, we’ll publish two of the following tutorials, so stay tuned!
- Designing the Starry Night Holiday Collection
- DIY Star Sprinkles and Mettalic Effects
- Sparkly Winter Fairy Garden
- Lemon Shortbread Stars
- 5 Quick & Easy DIY Holiday Gifts
- kitchen scale or measuring cups and spoons
- large mixing bowl
- hand-held or stand mixer with the paddle attachment
- rubber spatula
- 900 g (2 lb) non-stick loaf tin (pan)
- oven mitts or kitchen towel
- cake tester or skewer
- cooling wrack
- 4 cm (1.5 – 1.6 in) star-shaped cookie cutter
- paring knife
- baking tray (sheet) lined with baking (parchment) paper or wax (grease-proof) paper
- clingfilm (plastic/saran wrap)
Shelf life & storage
You can keep the cake in the fridge for up to 4 days or undecorated in the freezer for a month. Always allow the cake to come to room temperature before enjoying it.