Lavender popcorn puts a floral spin on classic sweet popcorn. This sweet treat is made by coating fluffy popcorn in candy melts seasoned with lavender essential oil, followed by a drizzle of dark and white chocolate.
Easy lavender popcorn recipe
You can prepare the recipe with homemade or store-bought, unflavored or slightly salty or sweet popcorn. I used purple candy melts to enhance the visual appeal, but any other candy melts or chocolate will work, too.
And because gourmet popcorn is such a great and easy homemade food gift, I have created a free printable popcorn box, which you can download after the recipe. Homemade lavender popcorn is a sweet little present for birthdays, holidays, teacher’s appreciation day, Mother’s Day or party favor.
What lavender essential oil to use?
This recipe is prepared with lavender essential oil, which creates a rich, authentic lavender flavor. Many lavender essential oils are safe for consumption but always double-check beforehand.
LorAnn’s Natural Lavender Oil, for example, is a good, food-grade botanical oil. Lavender essential oil is very potent so use it sparingly. I also found that the flavor isn’t noticeable right away but becomes more prominent after a couple of hours.
Here are my recommendations to match the intensity of lavender flavor according to your taste. Keep in mind that these are general recommendations as the intensity may vary in different essential oils:
- only a faint taste of lavender: 2 – 3 drops lavender essential oil
- medium lavender flavour: 4 – 7 drops lavender essential oil
- strong lavender aroma (only for serious lavender lovers!): 10 – 12 drops lavender essential oil
More lavender recipes
Lavender treats are among the most popular recipes on the blog. For more tasty lavender recipes, have a look our scrumptious lavender cookies, lavender tea, lavender chocolate cups, and lavender hot chocolate!
A pretty gift
To gift the lavender popcorn, I cut out a large square piece of clear cellophane. Then I placed the popcorn container in the middle and tied the present up with a matching bow. And there you have a stunning and delicious gift for lovers of gourmet popcorn!
- 90 g (8 cups) popped popcorn
- 225 g (8 oz) purple candy melts
- 7 drops lavender essential oil (see tips above)
- 40 g (1.5 oz) white chocolate
- 40 g (1.5 oz) semisweet (dark) chocolate
- Prepare the candy melts. Melt the candy melts according to the instructions of the manufacturer and add a few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Coat the popcorn. Place the popcorn in large, wide bowl and add the liquid candy melts. Mix with a spoon or spatula to coat the popcorn. Then spread the popcorn out in a single layer on a lined baking tray (sheet). Optionally, drizzle the popcorn with melted dark and white chocolate.
- Chill the popcorn. Put in the fridge until the chocolate has set, for about 20 to 30 minutes. Divide large clusters of popcorn into smaller chunks and package for gifting or store in an airtight container.
Tip: Don’t leave in the fridge for too long otherwise the popcorn may draw moisture and get soft.
Print & assemble the popcorn box
Print the lavender box on A4 or letter size photo paper or card stock. Optionally, print decorative pattern on the back of the box. Cut out both parts along the outlines. Score and fold the box using the bone folder and metal ruler. Alternatively, use a scoring board and stylus or do it freehand.
To assemble the popcorn box, apply an adhesive to the grey flaps and glue together both parts of the container. You can either use double-sided tape, a strong glue stick, or super glue. Line the box with food-safe tissue paper or grease-proof (wax) paper and fill with the lavender popcorn.
Free Printable Lavender Popcorn Box
Click on the button to download your free printable lavender popcorn box to serve and gift this treat in style!