In this part of our English Lavender series, we show how to make tea bags from coffee filters and fill them with aromatic lavender tea. DIY tea bags are an excellent and easy make-ahead gift idea for all seasons, and this technique works with any type of loose tea or herbs. As always, download the printable labels and tea box at the end of this post.
The English Lavender series
This recipe is part of our English Lavender series. Have a look at the links below to for more lavender inspired projects:
- Forgiveness is the smell that lavender gives – Printable quote
- Beautiful lavender wreath
- Lavender cookies and a printable sleeve gift box
- DIY lavender bath salt
- fresh or dried lavender buds or leaves
- coffee filter
- string, baker’s twine or unflavored dental floss
- printable tea tags (download below)
- printable tea box (download below)
- Fill the tea bags. Flatten the coffee filter and cut off approximately 3 centimeters or 1 and a half inches at the sides to create a rectangular shape. Then add 1 to 1 and a half teaspoons of dried lavender and spread the florets forming a small gap in the center to make folding the tea bag easier.
Tip: You can also make the teabags using 3 tsp fresh lavender per bag. These tea bags can’t be stored and should be used immediately, however.
- Close the tea bags. Fold the side parts evenly over the middle and make sure they overlap. Next, fold the tea bag in half along the center and fold down the open top twice. Add a string, baker’s twine or unflavored dental floss and staple to secure the bag. Finally, attach the printable tea tags to the end of the string.
Brewing instructions for lavender tea
Pour gently boiling water into a teacup or mug and allow the tea bags to steep for 3 to 7 minutes depending on how mild or strong you prefer the flavor to be.
Free Printable Tea Box & Tea Tags
Click on the button to download your free printable tea box so you can gift give the lavender tea in style!