Today, we show how to create a sparkly winter fairy garden with cute evergreen mini shrubs and lots of snowy DIY decorations. This arrangement will bring a wintery flair to your home and makes a wonderful, long-lasting Holiday gift! You can download the instructions and printable ornaments we used as decoration at our blog, which we link to in the info box.
✨ The Starry Night Holiday Collection
No matter what holiday you’re celebrating this time of year, we have fun and creative Starry Night themed recipes, crafts and tutorials lined up for you. Join us for delcious cakes, cookies and sweet treats, pretty flower arraning projects and nifty DIYs. Each week until Christmas, we’ll publish two of the following tutorials, so stay tuned!
Since this is a living arrangement, it can last for a long time. It’s best to keep the shrubs in a cooler place but never below the freezing point. Water them once a week or more or less depending on how wet or dry the soil is. You can repot the plants, and some might be suitable for growing outside.
- lower pot (Ø approx. 30 cm / 12 in)
- potting soil, ideally specifically for conifers
- 3 dwarf conifers or other mini shrubs, such as dwarf pine, spruce and cypress.
- white acrylic paint
- artificial snow or granulated sugar
- cones of different sizes
- Styrofoam balls
- craft glue
- Christmas ornaments
- craft brush
- small shovel
- garden mitts
- cover to protect the work surface
- Make the decorations. To make sparkly snowballs, insert a skewer into the center of a Styrofoam ball. Using a flat brush, coat the ball with white acrylic paint and cover it in artificial snow while the paint is still wet. With the same technique, also decorate cones in different sizes and small tree branches. Allow the decorations to dry completely, for about an hour.
- Plant the shrubs. Fill a waterproof flower pot or container half way with fresh potting soil and bring the soil up on the sides. Depending on the size of your pot, place three to four mini shrubs in the pot. After removing the shrubs from the plastic covering, soften their base a little with your hands. You can find these mini shrubs or dwarf tree at your local florist, in garden centers or tree nurseries. Add additional soil until 1 centimeter or half an inch below the rim of the pot. Ideally, use potting soil specifically for conifers.
- Let it snow. Brush egg white on the shrubs and sprinkle the arrangement generously with artificial snow but leave a spot bare on the back of the arrangement for watering. The egg white helps the snow to stick but doesn’t harm the plants in any way and can be easily washed off.
- Decorate. To make the arrangement look extra festive, decorate with the snowballs, iced cones, Christmas ornaments and printables.