See how to make Keto Dalgona coffee! This easy low carb whipped coffee recipe is a healthy take on the popular Tiktok coffee trend. The sugar-free Korean coffee drink only requires 3 ingredients plus 5 minutes prep, and you can enjoy the yummy beverage hot or cold.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Easy low carb whipped coffee recipe aka Keto Dalgona coffee
What is frothy, caffeinated, delicious and the latest food trend? If you guessed Tiktok coffee, you would be right! This isn’t any whipped coffee recipe, though. It’s a Keto Dalgona coffee recipe! My version takes whole food ingredients and blends them into a gorgeous, creamy whipped coffee.
If you’ve spent any time on Instagram or Tik Tok lately, you know that homemade coffee drinks featuring whipped coffee are plenty popular right now, but many recipes contain lots of sugar. Thankfully, it’s super easy to make low carb Dalgona coffee, and I’ll show you how to make the best Keto whipped coffee!
What is Dalgona whipped coffee?
Whipped coffee aka Dalgona coffee aka TikTok coffee is a delicious 3-ingredient Korean frothy coffee drink. It’s a latte drink with a dollop of thick, fluffy coffee foam on top. The name is inspired by Korean Dalgona candy, a honeycomb toffee, which is similar in taste and colour.
Dalgona coffee is made by whipping equal portions of instant coffee, sugar, and hot water into a fluffy, caramel-coloured coffee foam. Whipped Dalgona coffee is then poured over hot or iced milk.
Dalgona coffee origins
While the current Dalgona coffee trend originated in South Korea and quickly spread around the world (hence Tiktok coffee), the idea of frothy cream-inspired coffee is nothing new. The drink is similar to an Indian beverage called phenti hui coffee (beaten coffee) and Greek frappe coffee.
What does Dalgona coffee taste like?
Dalgona coffee tastes similar to a creamy latte. A friend of mine described it as an upside-down cappuccino. The whipped coffee foam has a bittersweet flavour that blends beautifully with the milk.
Why you’ll love Keto whipped coffee
Before we delve into the recipe, let me tell you more about my healthy whipped coffee recipe and why I think you are going love keto Dalgona coffee:
- healthy – Everyone loves whipped coffee right now, but regular Dalgona coffee recipes contain lots of sugar and dairy. My keto coffee recipe is sugar-free and dairy-free.
- easy and quick – A homemade coffee shop drink ready in less than 5 minutes? Yes! This low carb Dalgona recipe is super quick and easy.
- only 3 ingredients – You only need 2 simple ingredients + hot water for the whipped coffee foam + almond milk for serving your healthy coffee drink.
- pantry staples – You probably have all of the keto Dalgona coffee ingredients already in your pantry.
- customisable – My whipped coffee recipe can be easily adapted to fit different diets.
- hot or cold coffee drink – You can enjoy this vegan drink recipe hot or cold.
- cheaper than the coffee shop – Making Dalgona coffee at home is so much cheaper than buying expensive coffee drinks at a coffee shop.
Keto whipped coffee ingredients
As I already mentioned, the ingredients list is incredibly short. Here is what we need to make whipped coffee at home:
Instant coffee powder
Alternatively, use instant espresso powder.
Can you make Dalgona coffee without instant coffee?
No, unfortunately regular ground coffee doesn’t work. Only instant coffee creates the thick, foamy topping.
Low carb sweetener
The original Dalgona coffee recipe uses regular granulated sugar. Since we want to make our Dalgona coffee keto, we need to use a low carb sweetener.
I found that the best sweetener for sugar-free Dalgona coffee is allulose since it tastes and behaves very similar to sugar and has no aftertaste.
If using a sugar replacement with erythritol (e.g. Lakanto, Swerve), make sure it’s powdered. Granulated erythritol doesn’t dissolve well and can leave a gritty texture.
Instead of using cow milk as in the original Korean whipped coffee recipe, I used unsweetened almond milk to make vegan whipped coffee.
You can also use coconut milk in case you need the coffee drink recipe to be nut-free.
Other plant milks (e.g. cashew milk or macadamia nut milk) are fine as well.
How to make whipped coffee – Vegan Dalgona coffee recipe
Here are the easy steps for how to make keto dalgona coffee:
- Combine the ingredients. Add the instant coffee, sweetener and hot water in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the foam. Using a hand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the mixture on low speed until the instant coffee and sugar have dissolved.
- Whip until stiff peaks form. Turn the speed to the highest setting and mix until the mixture becomes golden brown, thick and fluffy, for about 2 to 3 minutes. The coffee foam is done when stiff peaks form.
Use a large mixing bowl to prepare the coffee recipe. At first, the ingredients will spatter but the foam will become velvety smooth and fluffy.
You can also whisk by hand, but it will take much longer. Think 15 minutes plus. That’s too long for me but if you need the arm workout, go for it!
How to serve whipped coffee
You can serve sugar-free Dalgona coffee in 2 delicious ways:
- serve cold: Pour cold milk into a tall glass over ice. Scoop the whipped coffee foam on top and optionally sprinkle with cinnamon.
- serve hot: Add heated milk into a large mug. Heap on the whipped coffee foam. Stir until well combine.
How to drink Dalgona coffee
No matter if you enjoy your TikTok coffee hot or cold, be sure to stir the coffee foam and milk until combined. The whipped coffee foam is too concentrated and too sweet on its own.
Tools to make whipped coffee
I used the following supplies to make this healthy whipped coffee recipe:
- mixing bowl – This set comes in 3 different sizes, and I use it all the time.
- hand mixer –Using a mixer makes whipping the coffee foam a breeze.
- glass mug – The Dalgona coffee recipe looks beautiful served in glass mugs.
Over to you!
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.