This homemade blueberry cream cheese is creamy, rich, and full of delicious berry flavor. With just 5 ingredients and ready to eat in 20 minutes, the recipe is super simple to make and the perfect breakfast spread for bagels, toast, and muffins.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Homemade blueberry cream cheese
I’m a huge fan of bagels with cream cheese for breakfast, and this blueberry cream cheese is the perfect compliment for my morning bagel. It’s so simple to make and full of incredible blueberry flavor. Plus, the fruit cream cheese spread needs only 5 ingredients and takes around 20 minutes to complete.
While you could just mix cream cheese and blueberries, I prefer to cook a quick blueberry sauce. It’s an extra step but trust me on this. The sauce creates a stronger, more concentrated fruit flavor that is so much better than just stirring fresh berries into cream cheese.
You probably already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen and only need to go to the store for blueberries. See the recipe card at the end of the post for specific measurements.
- Cream cheese: I used regular cream cheese for this recipe. Light cream cheese will also work. There’s no need to soften the cream cheese to room temperature beforehand because the hot blueberry sauce will do that.
- Blueberries: You need 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries. We’ll cook the blueberries into a thick, jam-like sauce that tints the cream cheese in a gorgeous purple color and sprinkles blueberry chunks throughout the spread.
- Honey adds natural sweetness and helps to thicken the blueberry sauce.
- Lemon juice + lemon zest (optional) compliment blueberries so well and bring on a refreshing note.
- Vanilla extract (optional) rounds out the other flavors.
How to make blueberry cream cheese
It doesn’t get much easier than this blueberry cream cheese recipe! If you have 5 ingredients and 20 minutes to spare, you can make this bagel spread and enjoy it in no time.
Step 1: Cook blueberry sauce
- Place the blueberries, honey (or maple syrup), lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Then reduce the heat to a simmer (medium-low heat) and cook for 7 to 10 minutes until the blueberry sauce thickens.
- Take the pot off the stove and let it cool for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Whip cream cheese
- Put the cream cheese into a large mixing bowl and add the warm blueberry sauce.
- Allow the sauce to soften the cream cheese for 2 to 3 minutes, then whip with your mixer until creamy and well combined.
- I usually do this with a hand mixer, but you could also use a food processor or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
How to use blueberry cream cheese
There are so many ways you can enjoy this delicious blueberry cream cheese spread. Here are a few ideas that illustrate how versatile whipped blueberry cream cheese is.
- Blueberry spread: The spread is delightful for your breakfast treats. Slather it onto toasted bagels, warm toast, crusty bread, and blueberry muffins. Or enjoy it with waffles, pancakes, and French toast. You can also dollop it onto oatmeal, granola, or eat it by the spoonful.
- Blueberry fruit dip: Another idea is to serve blueberry cream cheese as a fruit dip or cookie dip. Place it in a small bowl and arrange fresh fruit around it on a large platter. It’s so yummy paired with our condensed milk fruit dip!
- Blueberry cream cheese mousse: For a quick dessert, combine 1 cup blueberry cream cheese with 1/2 cup heavy cream. Whip with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Blueberry cream cheese frosting: To turn the recipe into a tasty blueberry cream cheese frosting, beat 1 cup blueberry spread with 1/2 cup softened butter and 1 cup powdered sugar until well combined. Use to frost cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and quick breads.
- Maple syrup is another sweetener you can try for this recipe.
- Orange juice + zest: Feel free to play around with citrus components and swap out lemon for orange or lime zest and juice.
- Cinnamon: A touch of ground cinnamon adds subtle warmth and deepens the aroma.
- Chocolate chips: If you enjoy chocolate treats for breakfast, stir 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips into the sweet cream cheese spread.
Can I use frozen blueberries?
Yes, it’s entirely up to you if you use fresh or frozen blueberries. During testing, I didn’t notice any difference between the two options. There’s no need to defrost frozen berries. Just be sure to stick to 1 cup total of berries when you cook the sauce.
Is there a substitute for cream cheese?
Yes, you can enlist several cream cheese alternatives for this recipe. The closest substitute is Neufchatel, a lighter type of cream cheese. The recipe will also work with mascarpone, ricotta, or Greek yogurt. And to turn this into a dessert dip, prepare the recipe with cool whip.
Can I use other berries in this recipe?
Absolutely, homemade blueberry cream cheese is so easy to change up! You can use any types of berries you like best for this recipe. Strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are all great options. Or you can combine different fruits and create a tasty mixed berry cream cheese.
- Make-ahead: You can make this blueberry schmear a day ahead of time and be prepared for breakfast. Once the cream cheese spread is done, place it in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- Fridge: Keep the blueberry and cream cheese recipe in an airtight container, and the spread will be good for up to a week in the refrigerator. If you notice separation, stir the mixture until smooth again.
- Freezer: I don’t recommend freezing blueberry cream because cream cheese changes its texture when frozen and thawed. However, you can prepare a batch of the blueberry sauce and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw in the microwave and then mix the blueberry cream cheese spread.