This keto ground beef casserole recipe is a tasty one-dish low carb dinner for the whole family. The easy keto ground beef recipe comes together quickly and is perfect to feed a crowd, for meal prep or a potluck. The healthy gluten-free casserole recipe also includes cooking tips and variations for the best skinny low carb beef casserole ever.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Keto ground beef casserole – Easy low carb ground beef recipe for dinner
My gluten-free keto ground beef casserole is low carb comfort food at its finest. Rich, savoury, and full of flavour, it’s one of my favourite healthy low carb dinner recipes and quick midweek family meal ideas. And yes, keto casserole is an easy low carb ground beef recipe to make ahead and freeze.
With holiday season in full swing, you might be looking for great potluck ideas for work and easy Christmas potluck ideas. And this easy keto ground beef recipe is definitely a crowd-pleasing recipe for potlucks because it’s very family-friendly and quick to whip up. I hope this tasty keto ground beef recipe will become a staple for your family as it is for mine.
Layers in this low carb keto ground beef casserole
Traditional ground beef casserole recipes often include carbs in the form of pasta, potatoes or rice, which aren’t suitable for low carb ground meat recipes. Instead, this keto ground beef casserole uses a mix of three healthy low carb vegetables, which makes it a skinny beef casserole in addition to being keto-friendly.
This easy low carb weeknight dinner is comprised of layers. We have 3 main layers in the homemade ground beef casserole…
The vegetable layer
The base of this healthy casserole recipe is made of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. I simply sliced the carrots and cut the cauliflower and broccoli into small florets. Then, the veggies have to be stir-fried first to cook them through. And don’t forget to season because no one likes mushy, tasteless vegetables.
You can either use fresh produce or use frozen products to save time and make this simple homemade casserole even quicker.
The hearty ground beef layer
You obviously can’t have a healthy ground beef casserole without ground beef. This layer consists of sautéed ground beef with chopped onion and minced garlic. If you don’t like garlic, simply omit it from the recipe. For a light garlic flavour use only one small clove, an for a strong garlicky taste add two large garlic cloves.
I seasoned the beef with fresh parsley, salt (1 teaspoon per pound will give a good taste), black pepper, ground nutmeg, and allspice. The last two spices aren’t essential, and it’s okay to skip them, but I find they add richness and depth of flavour to the ground beef.
The cheese topping
The last layer in keto ground casserole is the cheese topping. I used a mix of mozzarella and cheddar, but you can easily substitute with other types of cheese, too. Depending on how salty the cheese is, sprinkle the keto casserole with a little salt and pepper before baking.
Tips for how to make keto ground beef casserole
From start to finish, you can make this gluten-free ground beef casserole in about 45 minutes, which makes it great for entertaining or a nice keto dinner. Best part? You only need 1 pan to fry the vegetables and beef.
Here are a few tips for how to make healthy keto ground beef casserole:
- Saute the vegetables. Stir fry the vegetables in oil and butter. Once they are soft and lightly browned, transfer them into the casserole dish. Tip: The veggies cook faster and more evenly when you add a splash of water.
- Cook the ground beef. Next, cook the ground beef, onion, garlic and seasonings until the meat is nicely browned and the onion looks translucent, which takes approximately 7 to 10 minutes. Tip: Don’t saute the beef longer than that or the meat might become dry.
- Assemble the casserole. Place the beef mixture on the veggie layer in the casserole dish.
- Top the healthy beef casserole. Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over the low carb recipe.
- Bake the keto beef casserole. Once the layers are assembled, the low carb casserole goes in the oven, until the cheese is melted and gooey.
Keto ground beef casserole variations
This keto casserole is delicious the way it’s written, but don’t be afraid to try out some variations. Here are some ideas:
- Easy cheeseburger casserole or cheeseburger pie – Drizzle the meat layer with sugar-free ketchup and mustard to create a hearty keto cheeseburger casserole recipe.
- Tomato sauce – Stir smooth or chunky tomato sauce into the keto ground beef before assembling the easy casserole recipe. Tomato sauce makes it even more succulent.
- Keto ground beef and broccoli – Skip the cauliflower and carrots and just use broccoli for this keto casserole recipe. It will still be a delicious low carb weeknight dinner. Of course, you can also use all cauliflower and enjoy a low carb recipe with ground beef and cauliflower.
- Ground beef green bean casserole – Another idea is to swap the veggies for green beans and prepare a keto beef green bean casserole recipe.
- Other ground meats – You can trade out the ground beef for ground turkey or a beef and pork mix in this skinny casserole recipe.
- Taco seasoning – You might love a little heat with your keto casserole with ground beef! Simply mix some taco seasoning or chilli powder with the ground beef for extra spiciness.
This easy ground beef casserole recipe is a breeze to customise with your favourite toppings. You can put the following ideas either on or in this keto casserole! Try these ideas to get you started:
- Bacon – Crumble crispy bacon on top of the cheese.
- Pickles – Top the ground beef with chopped pickles for a keto hamburger dill pickle casserole recipe.
- Nuts – Chopped nuts (e.g. almonds, pecans or walnuts) add some crunch to our low carb beef casserole.
Can you freeze low carb ground beef casserole?
Yes, you can freeze this easy keto ground beef casserole. Skinny ground beef casserole is a great dish for meal prep and freezing. Simply assemble the low carb dinner idea and allow it to cool to room temperature before freezing. The keto casserole recipe can be frozen for up to 6 months.
How to reheat Keto ground beef casserole
To reheat after freezing, either do it from frozen or thaw the low carb casserole first. Simply follow the instructions above for baking the casserole.
Note: The cheese topping melts into the meat a little more than it would if it was fresh, but the easy ground beef casserole is still delicious!
More low carb recipes with ground beef and keto dinner ideas
Need more low carb beef recipes and low carb family meals? If you love this keto casserole beef, try some of my other low carb ground beef recipes for dinner:
- slow cooker Italian meatballs
- gluten-free Swedish meatballs
- mushroom kale frittata crepes
- healthy zucchini frittata
And don’t forget to follow our keto board on Pinterest for even more low carb family recipes!
Over to you!
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see below the post.