DIY peppermint lip scrub with sugar and essential oils is ready in less than 5 minutes, with just 6 ingredients! This homemade candy cane lip scrub recipe is easy, smells delicious and makes a cute handmade holiday gift. This vegan lip scrub without honey comes with free printable labels for packaging and gifting.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
DIY peppermint lip scrub – Homemade candy cane lip scrub recipe
My peppermint lip scrub is lovely for the holiday season or any time of year. You’ll love how sweet and fragrant this DIY sugar scrub recipe is, plus this natural beauty product is very easy to make. For a holiday twist, I added a few red and pink sprinkle to this candy cane sugar recipe, but you can also leave the essential oil lip scrub plain.
The holidays are obviously a big time for homemade lip scrub recipes, but I also like to make this lip scrub with peppermint essential oil all year long. Making homemade beauty recipes isn’t always easy, but I think even beginners can create this vegan DIY lip scrub without honey.
Peppermint lip scrub benefits
Want to know about some peppermint lip scrub benefits? This lip scrub gently exfoliates your lips and removes dead skin cells, while also being very moisturizing. As a result, your kisser will feel smooth, soft and supple. To learn more, also check out my peppermint lip balm recipe, where I discuss the question is peppermint good for lips.
Peppermint lip scrub is also a thoughtful handmade Christmas gift idea! You can put the easy coconut oil lip scrub into all sorts of adorable containers and decorate them with our free printable lip scrub labels. Pair the scrub with my peppermint lip balm and you have an excellent gift for essential oil lovers and natural beauty mavens!
Homemade peppermint lip scrub materials
This peppermint beauty recipe is based on my strawberry lip scrub, and the materials of both sugar scrub recipes are similar. Here are the DIY peppermint sugar scrub ingredients and supplies:
- granulated sugar – Almost any type of sugar can be used for this lip scrub DIY. Since the skin of our lips is very delicate and tears easily, I prefer regular granulated/caster sugar.
- coconut oil – I like coconut oil lip scrub, but in case your prefer peppermint lip scrub without coconut oil, use shea butter instead. The scrub will be slightly harder but just as effective.
- jojoba oil – Jojoba oil, a liquid plant wax, is deeply moisturising, very soothing for dry skin and helps to restore chapped, rough lips.
- vitamin E oil – Vitamin E oil nourishes and moisturises the skin, keeping your lips hydrated and soft. As a potent antioxidant, vitamin E oil also fights free radicals and may prevent premature signs of ageing.
- peppermint essential oil – Peppermint essential oil has hydrating properties and is a good addition to keep dry lips moisturised during the colder months.
- red and pink sprinkles – For visual appeal, I added cute sprinkles to the lip scrub recipe, but this is optional. I don’t recommend crushed candy cane because some of the pieces can have sharp edges. Instead, use sprinkles that are round in shape (e.g. nonpareils/hundreds and thousands).
- lip balm pots – I used cute 1-oz cosmetic pots as lip scrub containers.
For organic lip scrub, prepare the recipe with organically sourced materials.
How to make edible lip scrub
How do you make edible lip scrub? This peppermint lip scrub DIY is very versatile, and you can turn the recipe easily into edible lip scrub by replacing the essential oil with peppermint extract. While peppermint essential oil isn’t toxic, you should be cautious about consuming it orally.
If you make this lip care recipe for children or teens, who have more sensitive skin than adults and may be prone to eating lip scrub (it is a peppermint sugar scrub after all!), choose another form of peppermint oil. Peppermint essential oil is the most concentrated form, whereas peppermint extract is more diluted and milder, which brings me to my next question:
Can you use vanilla extract in lip scrub? Or peppermint extract?
In my DIY peppermint lip tutorial, I explained that flavour extracts aren’t suitable for lip balm recipes. But you can use food-grade flavour extracts, like peppermint or vanilla extract to make homemade lip scrub. The extracts are easily absorbed by the sugar and add a nice aroma to the recipe. If you want to learn more, have a look at my strawberry lip scrub where I used strawberry flavour extract.
Peppermint extract on lips won’t have the same effects as the essential oil, but the lip scrub will smell and taste delicious. And you can use leftover peppermint extract for baking, too.
How do you make peppermint lip scrub?
How to make a candy cane lip scrub? The lip scrub without honey is enough to fill 2 to 3 1-oz tin containers. If you need more for gift giving, simply double or triple the recipe.
Here are the easy steps to make this simple DIY lip scrub with coconut oil:
- Using a fork, mix together the sugar, coconut oil and jojoba oil in a small mixing bowl. Work the sugar scrub mixture until well combined.
- Tip: If the coconut oil is too hard, warm it a little in the microwave to soften but don’t fully melt the oil.
- Add the vitamin E oil and peppermint essential oil. Incorporate well.
- Optional, stir a few sprinkles into the recipe.
- Using a spoon, fill and press the scrub into storage tins.
- Apply a printable lip scrub label to the lid and seal.
What consistency should lip scrub be?
Lip scrub should have a paste-like consistency. You can adjust the consistency and texture by adding more or less jojoba oil. More oil will make the scrub softer and oilier, less a little harder. Personally, I prefer thick lip scrub holds that holds its shape.
How to use peppermint lip scrub
Just like other parts of the body and face, our lips can benefit from being exfoliated. If this is your first time making a DIY lip scrub recipe and you’re wondering how to use this homemade beauty product with essential oils, let me show you the easy steps for how to exfoliate lips with lip scrub.
Here is how to use lip scrub:
- Using a cosmetic spatula or clean fingers take out a small amount of DIY lip scrub. When taking out peppermint sugar scrub, be careful that the product doesn’t come in contact with any water.
- If the lip scrub feels hard, warm with your fingers before applying it to your lips.
- Moist your lips with a little water.
- Using your fingertips, apply the sugar scrub on your lips and massage in gentle, circular motions for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Rinse off with plenty of water and apply a lip balm.
- Use the lip balm not more than once or twice a week.
Do lip scrubs plump lips?
Yes, lip scrubs can slightly plump lips and can be useful for how to get bigger soft lips. While the purpose of a lip scrub is to exfoliate, they can have a mild plumping effect, too. For one, massaging the sugar scrub on your lips stimulates circulation. Plus, ingredients like peppermint or cinnamon are naturally plumping, too.
How to store DIY lip scrub
Store your DIY peppermint lip scrub in an airtight container, e.g. a cosmetic jar or small lip balm pots. Keep the jar or container closed to prevent the lip scrub from drying out.
Homemade lip scrub can be stored at room temperature. In a hot environment, the coconut oil will soften or even melt. You can still use the peppermint scrub recipe or put it in the refrigerator to harden.
How long can I keep candy cane lip scrub? – Shelf life of DIY lip scrub
The candy cane lip scrub will expire when the oils do, so check the life of your oils for the expiration date. If made with fresh ingredients, this homemade peppermint lip scrub recipe has a shelf life of 9 months.
More DIY candy cane beauty recipes
Candy cane inspired beauty products are wonderful to care for your skin throughout the holiday season. Plus, each DIY skincare recipe is also a festive homemade Christmas gift idea for family and friends.
For more peppermint beauty DIYs, check out these projects:
- DIY peppermint bath bombs
- candy cane bubble bar scoops
- homemade candy cane sugar scrub and peppermint body butter
- peppermint bath salts
- festive candy cane soap
- easy peppermint lip balm
- DIY peppermint scented candles
- candy cane gift set
Free Printable Lip Scrub Labels
Tab or click the button below to download free printable candy cane lip scrub labels!
Over to you!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.