Learn how to make candy cane sugar scrub and peppermint body butter! This DIY whipped sugar scrub and homemade whipped body butter recipe are naturally fragranced with essential oils and will keep your skin smooth and moisturized throughout the holiday season. Decorated with free printable labels, the easy body scrub and body butter are also festive homemade holiday gift ideas!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
DIY whipped candy cane sugar and homemade peppermint body butter
Yes, in today’s post I’m sharing to easy homemade beauty recipes. First, I thought to make separate posts, one for homemade peppermint body butter and a second one for DIY whipped candy cane sugar scrub. But since the DIY whipped sugar scrub recipe is based on the Christmas body butter, it made more sense to pack these two DIY skincare recipes in one tutorial.
I love that this peppermint body butter only needs 15 minutes of active prep time, a great DIY project for the busy holiday season. And, it feels good to know that my easy whipped body butter recipe is made with natural, non-toxic ingredients and fragrances. Plus, this shea butter body butter feels so moisturizing and soft on the skin.
The DIY candy cane sugar scrub is a fluffy whipped sugar scrub based on the peppermint body butter recipe. Granulated sugar is a gentle exfoliator for legs, arms and your body. A bonus of this homemade sugar scrub recipe with essential oils is that it moisurises your skin while you exfoliate! Using a moistursing whipped sugar scrub is one way to help very dry skin in winter.
With this seasonal beauty duo you have two great skincare recipes to add to your winter skincare routine. Now let’s see how to make candy cane sugar scrub and peppermint body butter!
Materials for candy cane sugar scrub and easy peppermint body butter
The ingredients for the DIY peppermint body butter and whipped candy cane sugar scrub are exactly the same with the exception of granulated sugar in the easy Christmas sugar scrub recipe. Here is what we need for this easy Christmas bath gift idea:
- shea butter, aloe vera butter and mango butter – All 3 butters have slightly different skincare benefits. Blended together, they make for an incredible DIY moisturizer and will make your skin look and feel hydrated and supple.
- beeswax – White beeswax (cera alba) is a humectant meaning it binds moisture to the skin and creates as a protective barrier from environmental influences. If you want a vegan body butter, use jojoba wax instead.
- vitamin E – Vitamin E is a wonderful skin moisturizer and a powerful antioxidant that can help to fight free radical damage on your skin.
- peppermint essential oil* and vanilla oleoresin –peppermint essential oil and vanilla oleoresin are wonderful Christmas sugar scrub essential oils and create a wonderful all natural candy cane fragrance. For all-minty beauty products, simply skip the vanilla oleoresin.
- granulated sugar – I like using regular granulated white sugar in DIY sugar scrub recipes as this sugar has finer crystals and is a gentler exfoliator compared to other sugars.
- jojoba beads – Red jojoba beads are gentle exfoliants and give the whipped sugar scrub recipe a festive touch.
- beetroot powder – I used beetroot powder to colour the sugar scrub recipe and candy cane body butter naturally. Alternatively, use mica powder, food colouring or leave the homemade bath products uncoloured.
If your skin reacts sensitive to essential oils, replace peppermint essential oil with milder spearmint, bergamot mint, or balm mint bush essential oil – this peppermint sugar scrub without coconut oil will still be amazing! If you’re pregnant or have a health condition, consult with a doctor or medical care giver about the safe use of essential oils.
Looking at the ingredients you can see that this is a whipped sugar scrub without coconut oil. But you can substitute the aloe vera or mango butter or both with coconut oil if desired.
Tools and supplies to make holiday sugar scrub and candy cane body butter
Tab or click the links below to shop the products I used for making this holiday body butter and sugar scrub recipe:
- glass mixing bowls – I love this set of glass mixing bowls to melt, chill and whip natural beauty recipes, like this whipped body butter and DIY sugar scrub with essential oils.
- hand-held mixer – This hand held mixer will make the texture of the peppermint body butter and candy cane whipped body scrub recipe light and fluffy.
- disposable pastry/piping bags – Pastry/piping bags are need to create the stripe pattern of the candy cane sugar scrub.
- cosmetic jars – These 4 oz/120 ml cosmetic jars are perfect to package these easy homemade skincare recipes for gifting and storage.
How to make peppermint body butter with shea butter and essential oils
How do you make whipped body butter? This DIY whipped shea butter is SO easy to make. I scented the homemade body butter recipe with peppermint and vanilla for a lovely candy cane scent. But you can easily customise the this natural beauty recipe with other essential oils for body butter. Are you ready to make DIY peppermint body butter?
- Melt the wax – First, melt the beeswax or jojoba wax in a heat-resistant mixing bowl in a warm water bath or double boiler. Be careful that no water spills into the bowl and always be careful when handling hot bowls and pots.
- Warm the butters – Once the wax is liquid, add the shea butter, aloe butter, and mango butter and warm on the lowest flame until everything has melted. Gently whisk to help along the process. Stir the essential oils and beetroot powder into the wax-fat mixture.
- Chill the mixture – Put the mixture into the fridge for 5 to 10 minutes, until the mixture forms a skin and becomes opaque.
- Whip the body butter – Take the bowl out of the freezer and whip with a hand-held mixer until white and doubled in size. At this point, you have DIY peppermint body butter. Optionally, colour the body butter with a little rose clay, mica powder or food colouring.
And there we have it, soft, fluffy and moisturizing peppermint body butter with essential oils!
How do you make candy cane sugar scrub? – How to make a whipped sugar scrub
Making this DIY whipped sugar scrub is the easiest thing ever! As I already mentioned, the homemade candy cane sugar scrub is based on the peppermint body butter I just described. All you have to do is to mix granulated sugar and jojoba beads with the body butter and your easy peppermint sugar scrub is ready to go!
How to fill the jars
- Fill a jar half full with body butter or sugar scrub.
- Then use a spoon or spatula to press the product against the sides of the jar to remove any trapped air.
- Add more body butter/sugar scrub until the jar is full.
- Optionally, sprinkle the body scrub with a little crushed candy cane.
Free printable peppermint sugar scrub labels and printable body butter label for gift giving
With the holiday season approaching fast, I’m already putting together all the homemade DIY Christmas gift ideas that I want to make for my family and friends this year. If you’re a reader of this blog you know how much we love handmade holiday gifts and this whipped peppermint sugar scrub is a lovely gift idea.
You may have heard that plastic containers aren’t the best option to store homemade beauty products with essential oils. While it’s true that glass containers, like these 4-oz mason jars or these cosmetic glass jars, are the best option, I plan to mail some DIY Christmas gifts to friends living away. PET containers are lightweight and might help you save a little on shipping. Plus, the jars won’t break in transit. However, use a glass jar or container if preferred.
Cyna created a peppermint candy cane sugar scrub labels and Christmas body butter labels, which you download at the end of the post. The printables come in different sizes to fit many DIY packaging ideas. And for coordinated tags, check out our free printable candy cane gift tags.
More body scrub gifts
Want to gift sugar scrub for Christmas? Then check out these homemade body scrub gifts in addition to this pumpkin spice sugar scrub with honey, sugar soap scrub bars, or this simple lemon sugar and salt scrub, strawberry lip scrub and hand scrub with oatmeal.
More candy cane gifts
For more holiday candy cane gifts, try the following projects:
Printable Peppermint Sugar Scrub & Body Butter Label
Tab or click the button below to download your free printable peppermint sugar scrub label and printable body butter label.
Over to you!
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.
For more crafts, beauty DIYs and recipe, follow us on Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook.Report this ad
Allergic to mango what can be used instead
Hi Audra! Shea butter would be a could a good substitute. Happy making!
I made the body butter, doubling the recipe and the result was WAY too greasy. What can be added to neutralize some of the fat?
Hi Summer! I’m sorry to hear that the body butter turned out to greasy for you. The beeswax should neutralize most of the oiliness from the plant butters. If that isn’t enough, add an emulsifier like Olivem 1000 or emulsifying wax. To safe teh batch you already made, follow these steps:
1. In a large mixing bowl, warm 2 tbsp Olivem 1000/ emulsifying wax (or 4 tbsp for the double recipe) in the microwave or a water bath until melted.
2. Next, add the body butter and warm until it’s half way melted. The body butter doesn’t have to melt completely, just partly, to mixes with Olivem/emulsifying wax.
3. Then take the mixture of the heat and let cool slightly.
4. Finally, whip with the mixture until soft and fluffy.
I hope this helps you out and please let me know in case you have another question!
These are so pretty!
Thank you, Cari!
I love that you used a natural colorant for these recipes. And omg. Those labels look great! What a fabulous holiday gift set for someone special.
Thanks so much, Rebecca! I was trying different natural colourants and beetroot powder created the prettiest colour.
Loved the recipes for the scrub and body butter. Excited about making the scrub and ordered supplies from Amazon. Wish the labels would be editable since I do not need all of the sizes.
Hi Leslie! So glad you’re enjoying this body butter and scrub. What size of labels would you prefer?
Oh my goodness, that pink colour and that texture is just gorgeous! The labels as usual are soooo cute! This duo truly would make the most lovely DIY beauty gift!
Thanks a lot, ladies! The body butter feels wonderful on the skin and my house still smells like candy cane from making these beauty recipes.