Learn how to make DIY pumpkin spice sugar scrub with honey! Made with natural ingredients and essential oils, this easy brown sugar scrub recipe smells like autumn and will leave your skin smooth and glowing.
The homemade body scrub for glowing skin comes together in under 5 minutes, and you only need 5 ingredients. The homemade exfoliating scrub can be used on the entire body, is suitable for sensitive skin and makes a wonderful DIY holiday gift!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
DIY pumpkin spice sugar scrub recipe
I’m all for homemade sugar scrubs. I probably make a DIY exfoliating scrub every week, and my bathroom is full of all sorts of natural body scrubs. And I love blending my own easy DIY sugar scrub recipes to get the skincare and exfoliation that I want. This is DIY pumpkin spice sugar scrub recipe with honey is my new favourite.
This is one homemade sugar scrub recipe that’s perfect for fall and even winter. I could see this being a wonderful moisturizing scrub to package in cute jars with a pretty tag to give as Christmas presents, too! I’m a huge fan of DIY homemade Christmas gifts.
Ingredients for homemade pumpkin spice exfoliating scrub
This brown sugar scrub is a staple in my natural fall skincare routine. With a generous dash of homemade pumpkin pie spice I created a wonderfully fragrant honey sugar scrub recipe.
Here are the ingredients need to make DIY pumpkin spice sugar scrub at home:
- brown sugar – Brown sugar acts as an exfoliator in the scrub. The molasses contains a little moisture, which makes it an excellent ingredient for dry skin.
- pumpkin seed oil – Pumpkin seed oil is rich in antioxidants, fatty acids, and zinc, which deeply nourish and keep your skin firm. The zinc in pumpkin seed oil can also soothe acne and reduce excess oil.
- raw honey – Honey’s antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties make it a great addition to sugar scrub with honey. Honey is also a humectant, meaning it attracts moisture to your skin.
- sea buckthorn fruit oil – Sea buckthorn fruit oil contains a lot of palmitic acid, a saturated fatty acid also found in human skin that can strengthen the epidermis and cell membranes. The oil’s antioxidants protect your skin from free radicals. And the fruity smell is ah-mazing!
- pumpkin pie spice – I used our homemade pumpkin pie spice blend, but this pumpkin spice mix from Simply Organic is wonderful too.
Essential oils for pumpkin spice sugar scrub
Now for this pumpkin spice scrub, you’ll want to use about 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice. That will give you a pleasant but not overwhelming pumpkin spice fragrance. We can further enhance the pumpkin spice scent and skincare benefits by adding essential oils.
Here a the essential oils for DIY pumpkin spice sugar scrub:
I included cardamom and sweet orange to give the pumpkin spice scrub a refreshing and fruity note. Both essential oils harmonize perfectly with the spice essential oils and give you a wonderfully warm fall fragrance. Of course, feel free to adjust the essential oils to your personal liking but don’t exceed the recommended amount of 16 drops.
This sugar scrub smells fantastic even without essential oils. If you are pregnant, react sensitive to essential oils or want to use the scrub for small children, make the sugar scrub without essential oils. You will still get an amazing homemade all-natural sugar scrub with pumpkin spice.
How to make pumpkin spice brown sugar scrub with honey – Tips for making sugar scrub
Isn’t it gorgeous! I love the glittering brown sugar honey mixture and the abundant fall scent the pumpkin pie spice lend to the sugar scrub. Plus the pumpkin seed oil is so moisturizing. And this DIY sugar scrub isn’t just exfoliating and moisturizing, it’s beyond simple to make too. Take a look at the steps how to pumpkin spice sugar scrub:
- First, warm the pumpkin seed oil and honey in a small sauce flame of low heat. Gently stir until the honey has dissolved. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Next, stir in the essential oils, if using, and the sea buckthorn fruit oil.
- Put the brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice into a medium mixing bowl
- Add the honey oil mixture and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the sugar scrub into clean, sterilized jars.
DIY sugar scrub substitutions
As always, you can make some adjustments to this DIY sugar scrub recipe to fit your preferences. Here are a few simple ideas to try when you make homemade sugar scrub with essential oils:
- granulated sugar – I used brown sugar in my exfoliating scrub because that’s how I like it. But since you’re making your own body scrub feel free to use granulated sugar too. That’s all part of the beauty of making your own non-toxic DIY beauty products at home.
- other oils – If you’re a fan of sweet almond oil or sugar scrub with coconut oil, use those. I would suggest fractionated coconut oil, but regular coconut oil will work as well. The consistency will be different deepening if you use a liquid or solid oil.
- maple syrup – To make a vegan body scrub, skip the honey or replace it with the same amount of maple syrup.
- other spices – Instead of pumpkin pie spice, you can easily use ground cinnamon to create a brown sugar cinnamon sugar scrub or fresh vanilla bean seeds to make a vanilla sugar scrub.
- vitamin E oil – Vitamin E oil can be used instead of sea buckthorn fruit oil and will boost the skincare factor in this moisturizing sugar scrub recipe. Vitamin E is load with antioxidants that can protect your skin from free radical damage.
How to use sugar scrub – Sugar scrub benefits
This fragrant pumpkin spice sugar scrub will keep your skin radiant all through fall and winter and is a great sugar scrub recipe for legs! There are several ways to use the this easy sugar scrub recipe. Here are a few tips about how to use sugar scrub to exfoliate your skin:
- Use the pumpkin spice scrub in the shower. Exfoliating in the shower is by far my favourite way to exfoliate arms, legs and body. Wet your skin with warm water. Then massage small amounts of scrub on your skin. Rinse off with plenty of water. So relaxing!
- You can also use the scrub to exfoliate only certain parts of your body like your hands or neck. Take a little scrub and rub in a circular motion on the area you want to treat.
- This pumpkin spice sugar scrub also makes for an excellent lip scrub. Pick up a small amount with your fingertip and massage it all over your lips with gentle pressure and in circular motions. Leave on for two minutes, then wash away and wipe clean with a tissue.
And remember always to be gentle when using a sugar scrub on your skin to avoid hurting yourself and use scrub only on intact skin. You should not use the scrub on irritated or inflamed skin, or open wounds.
Gift the DIY sugar scrub
Feel free to do double or triple the recipe. When I’m making DIY sugar scrub recipes for gift-giving, I usually prepare a large amount. Just be sure to store the exfoliating scrub in an airtight glass container.
As I mentioned, pumpkin spice sugar scrub is a cute inexpensive gift for many occasions, like Thanksgiving, Christmas or as a favour for autumn weddings. I packaged the scrub in small glass jars, these 4 oz quilted mason jars or these adorable weck jars are great options too.
Download our free printable sugar scrub label at the end of the post to decorate the jars and make your homemade beauty gift extra special.
Storage and shelf life
This homemade body scrub has a shelf life of approximately six months. Make sure to keep the scrub away from moisture and use clean fingers or a small wooden spatula to take out sugar scrub.
More sugar scrub recipes & pumpkin spice crafts
Can’t get enough pumpkin spice crafts and homemade pumpkin spice beauty products? Try some of these natural DIY beauty recipes:
- pumpkin spice bath bombs – My 3 pumpkin spice bath bomb recipes are a lot of fun and give your bath time the autumn makeover.
- whipped pumpkin spice body butter – This homemade whipped body butter recipe is perfect for your fall skincare routine and made with skin-loving ingredients.
- pumpkin spice bath salts – You’ll love this pumpkin spice latte inspired bath salts recipe.
- DIY pumpkin spice lip balm – One of my favourite DIY lip balm recipes!
- pumpkin face mask – Because we want glowing skin in the fall, too!
- homemade fall beauty basket – Turn your homemade beauty products into a beautiful fall gift basket, a great DIY gift idea for autumn!
Printable Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub Label
Tab the button below to download your free pumpkin spice sugar scrub printable label!
Over to you!
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.