Say hello to the flavours of winter with delicious oven roasted root veggies! Cooking root vegetables in the oven makes them tender with crisp, slightly caramelised edges. Onion rings, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar highlight the sweet and earthy flavour of the veggies. You can choose from a wide variety of roots, such as carrots, beetroots, turnips, parsnips, celeriac, sweet potatoes or Jerusalem artichokes. Oven roasted root veggies are a great side for meat and poultry, and we also enjoy this dish as a light supper sprinkled with grated parmesan. This dish is so simple, easy and healthy, it will become your new staple!
More oven-roasted recipes to try
The following, oven-roasted recipes would make delicious additions to the these veggies:
- Maya from Wholesome Yum shows how to make delicious and crispy bacon in the oven.
- Lindsay of Shrimp Salad Circus shares a delicious baked sweet potato chips recipe.
- If you’re looking for a sheet pan meal for a special occasion, try this yum Caesar roasted fish recipe by Maria from Staying Close to Home.
- Pork is more up your ally? Then this hearty roasted pork recipe with apples from of Kristen of Slender Kitchen will do the trick.
- And how delicious taste oven-roasted vegetables with tasty and easy curry marinades? Sophie from My Dainty Soul Curry has 3 scrumptious recipe using Indian curry paste.
Oven Roasted Root Veggies
White root veggies, such as celeriac, parsnips or Jerusalem artichokes, discolour once exposed to air, so we recommend keeping the peeled and cut vegetables in a bowl with water and lemon juice until ready to roast.
Prep Time: 45 min
Oven Temperature: 180 °C / 350°F / Gas mark 4
Roasting Time: 35 – 45 min
- 750 g mixed root vegetables (We used red, yellow, and white carrots, beetroots, turnips, parsnips, celeriac, sweet potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes.)
- 1 large red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced, or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- black pepper
1) Prep the vegetable
Rinse the vegetables under running water. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the root vegetables. Cut the roots into bite-sized wedges or rounds. Cut the onion in half and then rings.
2) Preheat the oven and prep the baking tray (sheet)
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F / gas mark 4). Line a rimmed baking tray (sheet) with foil or baking (parchment) paper. Alternatively, oil the baking tray (sheet) with a thin layer of oil.
3) Season the vegetables
Add the cut root vegetables, onion, garlic clove or powder, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar into a large mixing bowl and gently toss well to coat. Season with salt and black pepper according to your taste.
4) Bake the root veggies
Transfer the vegetables to the baking tray (sheet) and spread in a single layer. Roast in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, until tender and lightly charred. Serve warm.
Tip: Turn the baking tray (sheet) halfway through and flip the root veggies.
Materials: carrots, beetroots, turnips, parsnips, celeriac, sweet potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes
Thanks for stopping by
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.