Make the most of cherry season with a delicious and easy cherry crumble! This summer dessert is a scrumptious combination of sweet cherries and hazelnut streusel baked to crunchy perfection.
Easy cherry streusel recipe
I like to precook the cherries over the stove with some sugar and cornflour to thicken it the sauce. This way you get soft fruits and a wonderfully thick sauce. If your cherries don’t draw a lot of moisture simply add a splash of water or cherry juice to get the cooking going.
Next up are the hazelnut streusel, which is quickly mixed together with just flour, brown sugar, hazelnuts and a generous dash of cinnamon. Serve the crumble with some ice cream and you’ve got the perfect summer treat.
You can prepare the crumble in 4 to 6 ramekins or on large pie dish. And if you need to cater to a large crowd, simply double or triple the ingredients.
More delicious baking recipes
Do you enjoy baking – and let’s be real eating – muffins and cupcakes as much as we do? Then also check out these cupcake and muffins recipes! From chocolate to caramel and fruits, we have a treat for every taste:
- Fudgy Almond Brownies
- Walnut Chocolate Chip Brownies
- Blackberry Yogurt Cakes
- Butterfly Cupcakes
- Chocolate Mousse Tart
For cherry filling
- 1 kg (2 lb / approx. 6 cups) sweet cherries, cleaned and pitted
- 50 g (1/4 cup) caster (granulated) sugar
- 3 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
For the hazelnut streusel
- 200 g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 100 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar, cane sugar
- 100 g (cup) ground hazelnuts
- 150 g (2/3 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- icing (confectioners’/powdered) sugar for decorating
- Prep work. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F / gas mark 4). Line a baking tray (sheet) with baking (parchment) paper. Grease the ramekins or pie dish with butter, vegetable, oil or baking spray.
Tip: We line the baking tray (sheet) to make cleaning up easy in case the cherry filling bubbles over.
- Cook the cherries. Add the cherries, granulated sugar, and corn flour (corn starch) into a heavy bottom saucepan and stir until well combined. Let the cherries macerate for 20 minutes to 1 hour, so the fruits soften and draw juice. If the cherries don’t draw a lot of moisture, add 175 – 230 ml (3/4 – 1 cup) water or cherry juice. Then cook the cherries for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cherries soften, and the mixture thickens. Stir constantly, so the fruits don’t burn at the bottom of the saucepan.
- Make the hazelnut streusel. Add the all-purpose flour, brown sugar, hazelnuts, cinnamon, and cold butter cubes into a large mixing bowl. And knead into a crumbly mixture. Use your fingertips to squeeze together the dough to form large clumps.
- Bake the crumble. Spoon the cherry mixture into the prepared baking dish(es) and top with the streusel. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Dust with icing (confectioner’s/powdered) sugar and serve warm or cold with cream, or ice cream.
Easy Summer Desserts Collaboration
This recipe is part of Easy Summer Desserts collaboration with our friends Carol and Nik from Weekend at the Cottage and Alicia of Best Bites Forever. Nik and Carol made a delicious Harvey Wallbanger Cake, and Alicia prepared an amazing Peach Custard Tart with Blueberries. Their recipes are perfect for entertaining a party crowd or finishing a summer dinner. Make sure to check out their video tutorials and subscribe to YouTube channels for more tasty ideas!