Are you ready for chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate? Then this delicious chocolate mousse tart will satisfy any and every chocolate craving! The chocolate mousse filling is easy enough to whip up and tastes very velvety and rich. The chocolate crust has a deep chocolate aroma and tender texture.
Homemade chocolate mousse tart
While I’m not a big chocolate lover, my husband and Irena constantly request homemade chocolate desserts, and this chocolaty treat was right up their ally. The chocolate mousse tart is a wonderful way to finish an elegant dinner or eat it just because like the hubby and my sister love to do.
You can serve the tart with whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and fruits. I think raspberries and strawberries would be extra delish. Have fun baking!
More chocolate treats
Craving more chocolatey goodness? Then check out these yum recipes for more chocolate cakes, biscuits and sweet nibbles!
- Chocolate Doughnuts
- Easy Chocolate Truffles
- Chocolate Chip Lemon Curd Sandwich Cookies
- Raspberry Chocolate Whoopie Pies
- Homemade Nutella
- Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies
- Raspberry Rose Truffles
- Pretzle Nutella Bread Pudding
- Chocolate Star Surprise Inside Cake
- kitchen scale or measuring cups and spoons
- large mixing bowl
- tall mixing bowl
- cling film (plastic wrap)
- rolling pin
- 22 cm (9 in) non-stick loose-bottom fluted flan tin (pan)
- baking (parchment) paper
- ceramic baking beans (pie weights)
- sharp knife
- oven mitts
- cutting board
- wooden spoon
- hand-held or stand mixer with the whip attachment
- rubber spatula
For the crust
- 250 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 170 g (3/4 cup / 1.5 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus some extra to grease the tin (pan)
- 50 g (1/2 cup) cacao, sifted, plus some extra for decorating
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch of salt
For the mousse
- 225 g (8 oz) dark (bittersweet) chocolate, finely chopped, or chocolate chips
- 3 egg yolks egg (UK & Europe: M / US, CA, AUS & NZ: L)
- 450 ml (2 cups) double (heavy) cream
- Make and chill the chocolate crust. To make the chocolate crust, add the flour, cold butter, cacao, egg yolk, and salt into a large mixing bowl and knead into a soft dough using your hands. Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand. Wrap in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven. After the dough has chilled for at least 1 hour, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F / gas mark 4).
- Roll out the crust and line the baking tin (pan). Lightly grease the flan tin (pan) with butter, shortening, or baking spray. On a well-floured surface, roll out the chocolate crust large enough to cover the bottom and sides of the baking tin (pan). Then press the rolled-out crust into the bottom and all the way up the sides of the tin (pan). Use a sharp knife to cut away any overhang.
Tip: The dough becomes sticky if too warm, so work quickly. Flouring your fingertips helps with the stickiness, too.
- Bake the chocolate crust. Crumble a piece of baking (parchment) paper a couple of times to make it soft and bendable. Cover the crust with the baking (parchment) paper. Top the paper with baking beans (pie weights) and bake for 15 minutes. Then remove the baking (parchment) paper and continue baking the crust for another 10 minutes. Take from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Make the chocolate mousse. Boil up 120 ml (1/2 cup) of the cream and take the saucepan off the heat. Add the finely chopped chocolate or chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate has completely melted. Allow cooling to room temperature. Whip the remaining cream in a tall mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Then beat the egg yolks until very pale and fluffy. Gently combine the chocolate-cream mixture and egg yolks. Using a large rubber spatula, gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate-egg yolk mix.
- Chill the chocolate mousse tart. Spread the chocolate mousse into the tart crust and refrigerate for 3 – 4 hours. Dust the chocolate mousse tart with cocoa. Release the tart from the tin (pan), cut into slices and serve with whipped cream and fruits.