Today we welcome our foodie friend June of junedarville.com on the blog to share her deliciously creamy chicken stroganoff recipe.
Stroganoff is one of those meals that I can always make when I need a plan B or if I run out of dinner inspiration. Because all the ingredients you need for it are in my kitchen and pantry at all times. Chicken, cream, pasta, mushrooms! How about you?
How to make chicken stroganoff
Stroganoff nowadays is a well known dish all over the world. And like its name already lets on to believe, the roots of this recipe are in Russia. A quick check on internet tells me that there are quite a lot of theories about the exact history. Anyway, it is still a popular dish over there, although you will find this dish prepared with beef instead of chicken. Another very popular Russian ingredient is, vodka of course! And sour cream.
In fact sour cream and vodka are the essentials for stroganoff. Not a fan of vodka? Then you can replace it by white wine. No alcohol fan at all? I suggest you add a little extra chicken stock instead. So how about the sour cream? Well in my case I added cream instead of sour cream because I really wanted to let that lemon flavour come out. Both lemon juice and sour cream might be a little too sour.
What do you serve the stroganoff with? I’ll a sucker for pasta, so I served the creamy chicken and mushrooms with al dente fusilli pasta. You can also go for boiled rice!
More chicken recipes
If you like this quick chicken and rice recipe, have a look at these other chicken meals:
- 9 oz (250 g) chicken breast, diced
- 4.5 oz (125 g) white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken stock
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vodka
- 1/2 cup cream (120 ml)
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 2 tsp sauce thickener (or flour)
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Add the butter and olive oil to a large non-stick pan (one that has a lid) and place it over medium heat until the butter has melted.
- Add the diced chicken to the pan. Stir fry it for a couple of minutes until it is nicely browned on all sides. Then add the sliced mushrooms and the rosemary. Season with pepper and salt.
- Stir fry the mushrooms and chicken for 3 minutes. Then add the chicken stock, lemon juice and vodka. Put the lid on the pan and cook the chicken for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the cream, Worcester sauce and sauce thickener. Cover the pan again and let the chicken simmer in the sauce for another 3 to 5 minutes until the sauce is creamy and glossy.
- Check the seasoning and add extra pepper, salt or Worcester sauce to taste if necessary.
- Serve the stroganoff with boiled rice or pasta.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 585mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g