Rich and creamy, this easy homemade eggnog milkshake is the best and even better than McDonald’s. Make this Christmas milkshake in just 5 minutes and top it with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry for garnish.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Easy eggnog shake recipe
Eggnog milkshake is a fantastic holiday beverage for those who love creamy milkshakes. The festive drink recipe is made with eggnog, vanilla ice cream, and a dash of nutmeg.
It tastes like classic eggnog and is better than a Mcdonald’s copycat recipe. Your family will love this kid-friendly drink!
What is eggnog milkshake?
Eggnog milkshake is a seasonal holiday drink that’s a cold version of the iconic eggnog. It’s a beverage that combines soft-serve vanilla ice cream, eggnog, and spices. It’s often topped with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
The drink has been popularized by McDonald’s, Cook Out, and Sonic. My recipe is inspired by McDonald’s eggnog milkshake.
The ingredient list for this eggnog shake is short and sweet. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Vanilla ice cream: A drink can’t be called a milkshake unless it’s made with ice cream. Use your favorite vanilla ice cream. McDonald’s makes their milkshake with soft-serve ice cream. Regular vanilla ice cream, vanilla gelato, French vanilla ice cream, or frozen custard will all work well.
- Eggnog instantly turns this recipe into a holiday milkshake. Use store-bought or homemade eggnog.
- Heavy cream to make the whipped cream topping. You can beat the cream yourself or get a can of whipped topping to save time.
- Maraschino cherry and ground nutmeg (optional) are used for garnish.
For ingredient quantities and instructions, scroll down to the recipe card.
How to make eggnog shake
One of the beautiful things about milkshakes is how simple they are to make. You sort of just blend all the ingredients together and then pour it into a chilled glass.
Step 1: Soften ice cream
- Take the vanilla ice cream out of the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 5 to 10 minutes to soften.
Step 2: Whip cream
- While the ice cream softens, whisk the heavy cream until light and fluffy. A milk frother is perfect for whipping a small amount of cream in seconds. Set aside.
- Skip this step if you’re using whipped cream from a can.
Step 3: Blend shake
- Add the vanilla ice cream and eggnog into a blender.
- Blend for 1 minute until the ice cream and eggnog are combined and smooth.
Step 4: Garnish drink
- Pour the milkshake into a chilled glass.
- Use a spoon to top the milkshake with whipped cream or spray the cream topping on your drink. Garnish with a maraschino cherry and a sprinkle of ground nutmeg.
Step 5: Serve eggnog shake
- Serve your Christmas milkshake recipe right away. Enjoy!
Tips for the best eggnog milkshake
Although the recipe is pretty self-explanatory, I do have a few tricks up my sleeve to make this Christmas drink a breeze.
- Soften vanilla ice cream for a few minutes before making the shake. You want the ice cream soft, not mushy or rock hard.
- Chill the glass. Place the glass you want to serve the shake in into the freezer right before you start making the milkshake. Eggnog shake will last longer in a frozen glass.
- Adjust consistency. Add more milk to think out the texture or less milk for a thicker consistency.
- Use a milk frother to whip the cream. A milk frother is perfect to beat small amounts of cream in seconds. Don’t overbeat the cream, you want soft peaks, not a stiff texture.
- Spice it up. Season your milkshake with a dash of ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg for an extra cozy flavor.
- Use eggnog ice cream. If available, you can also prepare the Christmas milkshake recipe with eggnog ice cream and regular milk.
When can I buy eggnog?
Eggnog typically pops up in stores in October. You can also make your own eggnog from scratch.
Can I make chocolate eggnog shake?
Of course! Simply swap out regular for chocolate eggnog and prepare the recipe as described. Alternatively, make the recipe with classic eggnog and chocolate ice cream.
Does eggnog contain alcohol?
No, the eggnog you find in the dairy aisle at your supermarket doesn’t contain alcohol making this eggnog drink kid-friendly.
Can I add alcohol to my eggnog shake?
Yes, feel free to add a splash of Irish Cream or rum for a boozy adult version.
Do I need a milkshake maker for this recipe?
No, a blender will do. I’ve also successfully used an immersion blender to create milkshakes.
Who has eggnog milkshakes?
Wondering who sells eggnog milkshake? McDonald’s, Cook Out, Sonic, Jack in the Box, and Culver’s sell eggnog milkshakes. As for McDonald’s, not every location has it on the menu. You might wanna call ahead and check availability.
When is eggnog shake available?
The holiday drink is a seasonal drink and is only available for a limited time each year. Availability varies from restaurant to restaurant, but it’s usually offered from September/October throughout December.
Eggnog shake tastes best enjoyed fresh. However, if you have leftovers, follow these tips:
- Fridge: The shake can be kept refrigerated for up to 3 days. Separation can occur, which you can fix by re-blending the shake before drinking. Top with fresh cream when ready to serve.
- Freezer: Transfer the milkshake into a freezer-safe container and freeze. Consume within 1 to 2 months. To thaw, place the shake into the fridge and wait for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Re-blend if necessary.