Learn how to make giant paper roses out of cardstock with free templates! The roses are perfect for creating romantic flower backdrops for weddings or parties, and a single rose looks great as a wall ornament. We created the roses in an ombré effect and went from dark to light, choosing a deep mulberry tone for the outer petals and making the inner petals and centre light pink. Of course, these paper roses look absolutely gorgeous if you choose only one colour.
You can download the giant paper rose flower template for making the petals at the end of this post. And for more flower paper crafts, check out our giant paper dahlia tutorial!
Get your glue gun ready and let’s craft beautiful large paper roses! In our video tutorial we show how to do it in 5 easy steps!
What cardstock should I use to make paper roses?
Since we want to curl and bend the petals, it’s best to use a light-weight cardstock for this project, 65 lb cardstock is ideal. The petals are made with our printable large rose flower template, which you can download below.
How to attach paper roses
You have different options when it comes to hanging paper flowers. You can use a piece of ribbon a wire loop threaded through the base of the rose and then hang it on the wall using a nail or a hook. This presentation looks particularly great if you want to present a single rose as a wall ornament. If you want to assemble a floral backdrop, it can be more practical to use double-sided tape or command strips instead of a ribbon.
More Paper Craft Tutorials
If you’re feeling crafty, please also check out these creative projects:
- DIY Tissue Paper Pom-Poms
- How to make a Gift Bag
- Giant Paper Dahlias
- Honeycomb Pom-Poms
- Swarm of Bats Wall Decoration
- DIY Tassel Garland
- Paper Rosettes
- Tissue Paper Butterflies
- Create the base. To make the base, glue the circle template on a piece of cardboard and cut out a little larger than the template. If you want to hang the rose, make a small slit near the top of the circle and insert a piece of ribbon.
- Use the template. Print out the template and cut out the four petal shapes and the rose center. Lightly trace each template with a pencil and cut out the petals and center. You need five of each “XL”, “L”, “M” and “S” petals, as well as 3 rose centers.
- Shape the petals. Cut a small slit into the middle at the bottom of each petal. Using a hot glue gun, create an overlap. Be careful when handling the glue, it can be quite hot. Curl back the top edges of the “XL” and “L” petals. For the “M” and “S” petals, curl one edge forward and the other back. The handle of a wooden spoon works well for this.
- Build the center. Working with one rose center, curl both ends of one petal inwards and glue them into a cone. Curl the second petal outwards and glue it to the cone. Glue the two remaining centers together at a 90-degree angle. Curl one edge back, the other forward, and attach the cone in the middle. Now, glue the inwardly curled edges of the petals to the cone, forming a spiral.
- Assemble the flower. To assemble the flower, add a little hot glue to the bottom of the “XL” petals, and stick them around the cardboard circle. Allow the petals to overlap slightly. Add the next row of petals, the “L” petals, in-between the first. Continue this process with the “M” and “S” petals, and finish the rose by gluing on the center. To remove any glue strings blow over the flower with a hair dryer until the strings disappear.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
CORE'DINATIONS GX-2200-68 8.5 x 11 Card Stock Value Pack Perfect Pinks
Neenah Creative Collection Classics Specialty Cardstock Starter Kit, 8.5 X 11 Inches, 72 Count (46407-01)
AmazonBasics Multipurpose Scissors - 3-Pack
Hot Glue Gun,Full Size (Not Mini) 80W Power High Temp Heavy Duty Melt Glue Gun Kit for PDR,DIY Small Projects,Arts and Crafts,Home Quick Repairs,Artistic Creation (80W-UL+20PCS)
Arrow Fastener AP10BP 10-Inch Hot Melt Glue Stix, 5-Pound Box
US Art Supply 9" x 12" PINK/BLUE Professional Self Healing 5-Ply Double Sided Durable Non-Slip PVC Cutting Mat Great for Scrapbooking, Quilting, Sewing and all Arts & Crafts Projects
eBoot Stainless Steel Ruler 12 Inch and 6 Inch Metal Rule Kit with Conversion Table
X-ACTO #1 Knife, Z Series With Safety Cap
Large Paper Rose Printable PDF
Click on the button below to download your free giant paper rose flower printable template for hand cutting.
Thanks for stopping by
Thanks so much for visiting Country Hill Cottage – we’re so happy you’re here! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the commentsection below!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it using the social media buttons you see next to the post.