Learn how to make healthy cranberry sauce for your holiday meals. You only need 15 minutes to make this homemade paleo cranberry sauce recipe. The easy cranberry sauce is refined sugar free, vegan and gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy this vegan cranberry recipe.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Paleo cranberry sauce – Homemade healthy cranberry sauce recipe
I love all sort of holiday side dishes, and I especially love this delicious paleo cranberry sauce. Once the holiday season starts, I’m buying fresh cranberries to make this easy healthy cranberry sauce.
Although some people seem to love canned cranberry sauce, I much more prefer my homemade cranberry sauce with coconut sugar. It’s fruity, chunky, and a little tart. The best part about homemade cranberry sauce is that you can adjust the flavour and sweetness to your personal preference.
I used 5 ingredients to make this paleo cranberry sauce, fresh cranberries, orange juice, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and orange zest. But you can turn this recipe into a 3-ingredient cranberry sauce – it will still taste amazing. And while it’s a traditional holiday and Thanksgiving recipe, this easy cranberry sauce can be enjoyed all year long.
Healthy paleo cranberry sauce ingredients
Traditional cranberry sauce is made with tons of refined sugar, but this paleo cranberry recipe is cooked with much healthier ingredients.
Here are the ingredients found in my healthy cranberry sauce recipe:
- cranberries – You can use fresh or frozen cranberries. Give fresh cranberries a quick rinse. Frozen cranberries don’t have to be deforested before cooking.
- sweetener – You have a few options to make this paleo cranberry sauce refined sugar free. I prepared cranberry sauce with coconut sugar, but you could also cook cranberry sauce with maple syrup. If your healthy cranberry sauce doesn’t have to be vegan, you can also use honey as a natural sweetener in this easy healthy cranberry sauce recipe.
- liquid – A liquid is needed for cooking healthy homemade cranberry sauce. Cranberry sauce with orange juice is one popular option, just like cranberry sauce with apple juice. You can also use apple cider or simply water.
How to customise easy paleo cranberry sauce
There are several ways you can customise the is gluten-free cranberry recipe. For some cranberry sauce variations, try the following ideas:
- spiced cranberry sauce – Warming spices like ground cinnamon, cloves, and ginger can be used to create delicious spiced cranberry sauce.
- cranberry sauce with mustard – For a hearty cranberry sauce, stir 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard into the recipe.
How to make homemade paleo cranberry sauce
This vegan cranberry sauce recipe is incredibly simple. 1 saucepan and 15 minutes are all you need for cranberry orange sauce. The following instructions show how to make cranberry sauce with coconut sugar. The steps are the same for cranberry sauce with maple syrup or honey.
Here’s how to make paleo cranberry sauce:
- Add the cranberries, orange juice, coconut sugar, orange zest and spices to a small, heavy-bottom saucepan.
- Over medium-high heat, bring to a mild boil. Stir constantly and occasionally scrape down the sides of the pot.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until most of the berries have popped. Take off the heat.
- Once cool enough, taste test and optionally add more sweetener or spices.
- Optionally, puree the cranberry sauce in a blender in case you prefer smooth cranberry sauce over chunky.
Note: Cranberry sauce thickens while cooling. If you need to thin it down, stir 1 to 2 tablespoons juice or water into the paleo sauce recipe.
How do you know when cranberry sauce is done?
As I mentioned, the cooking time for homemade cranberry sauce is 10 to 15 minutes. While cooking, the cranberries will burst, and you can hear a little popping sound. Once most of the berries have popped, and the sauce looks thick and velvety, you’re done.
Tools and supplies to make healthy cranberry sauce at home
Tab or click the links below to shop the products I used to cook my easy cranberry sauce recipe:
How do you serve cranberry sauce?
Cranberry sauce can be served warm, at room temperature or cold. This basic cranberry sauce recipe is perfect for turkey and other meaty dishes, as a topping for salads and baked cheese, or as a sandwich filling.
Aside from holiday recipes, I also love to spoon it over yoghurt, pancakes, waffles and paleo Thanksgiving desserts – pretty much like you would use jam. There are also many recipes using cranberry sauce as an ingredient.
Ways to use leftover cranberry sauce – Recipes using leftover cranberry sauce
Need some recipes for leftover cranberry sauce? There are many ways to use leftover cranberry sauce, here are a few ideas:
- Swirl leftover paleo cranberry sauce into yogurt.
- Use in place of jam on toast and croissants.
- Spoon it over desserts like ice cream or chocolate cake.
- Glaze meat and poultry with leftover cranberry sauce.
- Give ready-made BBQ sauce a fall twist by seasoning with cranberry sauce.
How do you store homemade cranberry sauce?
This healthy naturally sweetened cranberry sauce can be served immediately after it has cooled a bit. If you need to store paleo cranberry sauce, transfer the recipe into an airtight food container and keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.
Can you freeze cranberry sauce?
Yes, you can freeze cranberry sauce. Simple freeze the refined sugar free cranberry sauce in a freezer-safe container or jar and it will last for several months.
When you’re ready to serve the easy cranberry orange sauce, deforest the sauce in the fridge or warm in the microwave.
More healthy cranberry recipes
If you like this homemade paleo cranberry sauce recipe, you might also like my other healthy cranberry recipes:
- how to make dried cranberries
- cranberry bliss bars
- orange cranberry bread