This Ocean Spray cranberry muffins recipe is so delicious and full of tart, juicy cranberries and crunchy walnuts! The muffins are incredibly moist with a tender crumb texture and a delicious streusel topping. The perfect way to start your day!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Cranberry walnut muffins
If you like cranberries, you will love these Ocean Spray cranberry muffins! They are perfectly balanced with fresh, fruity flavors and crunchy nuts, which makes them a great option for breakfast and snacking.
The muffins are wonderfully moist and super easy to make. The tart cranberries beautifully complement the walnuts and soft, tender texture. I wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to hoard the whole batch!
The only change I made to the original recipe is adding a streusel topping. It’s totally optional, but the combination of tart cranberries, nutty bits, and sweet, buttery streusel is simply divine.
The muffins are a great opportunity to use those extra bags of cranberries you’ve got sitting in your refrigerator or freezer around the holiday season.
For more Ocean Spray recipes, try this cranberry walnut bread and Ocean Spray cranberry sauce.
Ocean Spray cranberry muffins are made with staple ingredients. As long as you have cranberries, there’s no need to run out and grocery shop. Please refer to the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Flour: Good old all-purpose flour is all you need for this tasty cranberry nut muffin recipe.
- Baking powder is the leavening agent and helps the muffins rise.
- Sugar: White granulated sugar adds a touch of sweetness. You could also use light brown or cane sugar.
- Butter: I always use salted butter. Unsalted butter or margarine + 1/4 teaspoon salt will work too. Put the butter on the counter to soften for 20 to 30 minutes before your start baking.
- Eggs: You’ll need 2 large eggs to bind the batter.
- Milk: I prefer whole milk or 2%, but any type of milk you have available is fine, including dairy-free varieties.
- Cranberries: Fresh or frozen cranberries are perfect. If going with frozen, don’t thaw them but add the berries frozen. We also have a recipe for dried cranberry muffins if that is what you have.
- Walnuts: Chopped walnuts set these Ocean Spray muffins apart from other cranberry muffin recipes.
How to make Ocean Spray cranberry muffins
The Ocean Spray cranberry muffins recipe is pretty simple to prepare! The batter takes only minutes to whip up, and about 22 minutes to bake into beautiful walnut cranberry muffins bursting with flavor.
#1: Mix streusel
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the flour and sugar. Add the melted butter and stir with a fork until the mixture is moistened and crumbly. Set aside.
#2: Make the batter
- Mix the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until completely blended. Incorporate the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Next, stir in the milk.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixing bowl with the wet mixture. Fold together using a rubber spatula. Stop stirring once you no longer see large pockets of flour. It’s important not to overmix the batter.
#3: Fold in cranberries and nuts
- Toss the cranberries with a teaspoon of flour, making sure to fully coat them. This helps them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
- Then gently fold the cranberries and walnuts into the muffin batter until just incorporated.
#4: Fill the muffin pan
- Divide the batter evenly among 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. An ice cream scoop is helpful to portion the batter perfectly.
- Then top each muffin with the streusel mixture, a few more cranberries, and chopped walnuts.
#5: Bake the muffins
- Put the muffins into a 400°F oven and bake for 22 to 25 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when they are done.
- Let the muffins sit in the pan to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!
Check out my tips and tricks below to make your Ocean Spray cranberry muffins the best they can be! They taste so good, your family and friends will love them!
- Line the muffin pan: Cranberry nut muffins will definitely stick if you don’t line the pan with paper liners. Alternately, grease the pan with oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Don’t overmix the batter: When combining the dry and wet ingredients, stir until just combined and you no longer see pockets of flour. Having lumps in the batter is fine.
- Toss cranberries: Tossing the cranberries in flour prevents them from sinking to the bottom. I also like to put a few extra berries on top of the batter before baking.
- Use fresh berries: For the best taste, opt for fresh cranberries. While you can use frozen, fresh tastes always better.
Add-ins & variations
Ocean Spray cranberry muffins are versatile! So don’t shy away from making the recipe your own, and try these mix-ins and flavor variations:
- Swap the nuts: Instead of walnuts, try the muffins with chopped pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, or pistachios.
- Chocolate chips: Fold 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips into the batter for white chocolate cranberry muffins. Milk or semisweet chocolate would be delish as well.
- Orange zest: For that classic orange cranberry flavor, add the zest of 2 oranges to the muffin batter.
- Vanilla extract: The original recipe doesn’t list vanilla, but I almost always include a teaspoon to give the muffins more depth of flavor.
- Spices: Warming spices such as ground cinnamon (1 tsp) or ginger (1/2 tsp) are delicious in these cranberry muffins.
- Other berries: You can prepare this easy muffin recipe with fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries, cherries, or any other berries you wish.
Store Ocean Spray cranberry muffins
Keep leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or in the fridge for 1 week. To reheat, place a muffin in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds or in a toaster oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
Freeze cranberry walnut muffins
You can also freeze your fresh cranberry muffins for about 3 months in a sealed container or freezer bag. Then simply allow them to thaw out at room temperature for a few hours before enjoying.
Reasons to love Ocean Spray cranberry muffins
- Quick + easy: All you need is about 30 minutes prep and a few basic pantry staples, along with some cranberries, to bake these scrumptious fresh cranberry muffins.
- Cranberry walnut combo: The tartness of the cranberries goes perfectly with the nutty warmth and slight crunch of the walnuts.
- Make-ahead breakfast: Cranberry walnut muffins are a wonderful grab-and-go breakfast on a busy morning when everyone is running out the door on their way to school or work.
More cranberry recipes
Cranberries are fantastic baking ingredients, and I always stock up when fresh cranberries are in season. Here are a few more recipes you’ll want to have in your collection.
- Panera Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Banana Cranberry Bread
- Libby’s Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
- Cranberry Bliss Bars
More homemade muffins you’ll love
Here are some of my other favorite muffin recipes. Whether you want something chocolatey or fruity, we’ve got you covered!