Poe’s raven wouldn’t say “nevermore” to our raven cake bites! The bites are made with rich and moist chocolate cake. Fluffy white buttercream rounds out the deep cocoa flavor, while edible feathers and sprinkles add a spooky yet elegant touch. The cake bites are a yummy treat for Halloween parties and also make a great homemade gift to share with family and friends. You can download a cute printable cake box to package and gift the cakes in this Quick DIY.
More from The Rose and The Raven Halloween Collection
Check out the links below for more fun and creative Halloween themed recipes, crafts and printables.
- Learn all about The Rose and The Raven Halloween collection
- Printable Trick-or-Treat Favour Boxes
- Halloween Fudge with Meringue Kisses and Oreos
- Printable Halloween Wall Art
- Giant Two-Toned Paper Flowers
- Halloween Brookies with Candy
- Printable Window Cake Box
A few tips for making the edible feathers
1) You can use both sugar paste (fondant) or flower paste (gum paste) to make the decorations. If the sugar paste (fondant) seems too soft, knead a small amount of CMC or Tylose powder into the paste, so it becomes more pliable.
2) We recommend making the feathers at least a day in advance, so the sugar paste (fondant) or flower paste (gum paste) dries thoroughly.
3) Use gel paste food colour, not liquid food colours, and the tip of a cocktail stick (toothpick) to tint the paste. To make black feathers, we recommend using either a highly concentrated black gel paste or pre-coloured black sugar paste (fondant) or flower paste (gum paste).
For more tips on creating decorations with a silicone mould, watch our video on moulded sugar roses.
Storage and shelf life
You can keep the raven cake bites in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. The undecorated cake can be stored in the freezer for a month.
Package and gift the raven cake bites
To package the raven cake bites in our printable cake boxes, fold a piece of greaseproof or parchment paper into thirds. Put a cake square in the middle and use the excess paper to place the cake in the box.
The raven cake bites loot adorable in pretty cake boxes. Download the printable and learn how to assemble the cake boxes in our easy tutorial.