Add a blast of color to your home or party décor with giant two-toned paper flowers! In honor of Halloween, we chose black and purple cardstock for the petals and a light lavender shade for the center.
DIY giant paper flower
The flower looks just as great with any color combination, and we recommend using contrasting colors for the two-toned effect to show in the best way. In this DIY, we explain how to make the two-toned petals, as well as a pretty fluffy flower center. You can download the free printable templates we used at the end of this post. And for more paper flowers, check out our tutorials for giant paper roses and dahlias!
More paper craft projects
If you’re feeling crafty, please also check out these creative projects:
- DIY Tissue Paper Pom-Poms
- How to make a Gift Bag
- Giant Paper Dahlias
- Honeycomb Pom-Poms
- Swarm of Bats Wall Decoration
- Giant Paper Roses
- DIY Tassel Garland
- Paper Rosettes
- Tissue Paper Butterflies
- Easy Crepe Paper Flowers
- Crepe Paper Roses
- Giant Tissue Paper Flowers
- Autumn Paper Leaf Wreath
- Ruffle Pom Poms
More from The Rose and The Raven Halloween Collection
Check out the links below for more fun and creative Halloween themed recipes, crafts and printables.
- Learn all about The Rose and The Raven Halloween collection
- Printable Trick-or-Treat Favour Boxes
- Halloween Fudge with Meringue Kisses and Oreos
- Halloween Brookies with Candy
- Printable Cookie Envelopes
- Raven Cakes Bites
- Printable Window Cake Box
- Printable Wall Art
- Purple Autumn Flower Arrangement for Halloween
- black, purple and light lavender 130 g / 80-90 lb card stock
- silver glitter paper
- petal and circle templates (download at the end of this post)
- a piece of cardboard
- a piece of ribbon (optional)
- glue sticks
- craft scissors
- hot glue gun
- Create the base. To make the base, glue the template on a piece of cardboard and cut out. The guides on the template help to space out the petals evenly.
Tip: If you want to hang the flower, make a small slit near the top of the circle and insert a piece of ribbon.
- Use the template. Print out the petal template and cut out the large and medium-sized shape. Trace each template with a pencil and cut out the petals. We used a white pencil to see the outline on the black and purple cardstock. You need 12 of each large and medium petals, the base, a small silver glitter circle for the center, and one black and lavender strip of cardstock.
- Shape the petals. Place a small dot of hot glue near to the bottom of a petal and glue the base of the petal forming a cone. Be careful when handling the glue, it can be quite hot. Repeat this step for all black and purple petals. Then add hot glue to the tip of a purple petal, insert into the black one and pinch together to secure.
- Build the center. Fold the lavender and black cardstock strips lengthwise in half and glue the edges of each strip together. Using scissors, cut fringes along the fold of the lavender paper, about half a centimeter or quarter to an eighth of an inch wide and three quarters down the strip. Apply a line of hot glue along the bottom of the black strip and tightly roll the strip up. It’s best to work in sections, so the glue doesn’t harden too quickly and aim to make the roll as compact as possible. Glue the ends and then repeat this step with the lavender strip. Finally, fluff out the center and attach the silver glitter circle in the middle.
- Assemble the flower. To assemble the flower, add a little hot glue to the back of a petal and position it in one of the segments of the template. Continue attaching petals around the cardboard circle. Add a generous amount of hot glue into the center of the template and firmly stick on the flower center.
Tip: To remove any glue strings blow over the flower with a hair dryer until the strings disappear.
Free Printable Template
Click on the button to download your free printable template to make the two-toned paper flowers!