Fresh with a fruity punch, this roasted apple salad is a delicious way to enjoy fresh apples from your garden. The simple apple salad recipe celebrates some of the best flavors of fall. The fall salad is made with salad greens, honey-roasted apples, beet, and a refreshing honey lemon dressing.
Honey roasted apple salad
This tossed salad with apples and beets perfectly captures the aromas of autumn. I roasted the apples with honey, olive oil, and chili flakes to bring out their natural sweetness and add a slight piquancy.
Instead of creating a fancy vinaigrette, I limited the ingredients for the dressing to more honey, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and sea salt.
Grilled apple salad is so easy to make that anyone can pull it together in no time at all. If you never tried roasted apples, you’re in for a treat. They cook soft, with crisp, caramelized edges and a slight spiciness from chili flakes.
Roasted apple salad is perfect as a light lunch, entree, and side dish, although we like to make a full meal of a large plate of this delicious fall salad recipe with crusty bread on the side!
Ingredients for roasted apple salad
This grilled apple salad has to be one of my favorites because it’s comforting, fresh, and flavorful! I love how the sweet apple slices pair with the earthy beetroot, and the lemon vinaigrette dressing is light and yummy.
Here’s your grocery list for my apple salad recipe:
- Apples are the star of this easy salad recipe. Firm baking apples like Braeburn, Belle de Boskoop, Honey Crisp, or Jona Gold are best. You can peel the apples or leave the skin intact according to your preferences.
- Salad greens are the base of the salad. You can incorporate whatever lettuce you like and have available. I used butterhead lettuce and love how tender this lettuce is. Leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, radicchio, spinach, kale, and arugula will also work.
- Beet: I wanted to add another veggie to this fall salad, and beetroot is a nice seasonal addition. You can buy beets and cook them yourself, or pick up pre-cooked beet where the work is done for you.
- Honey: Don’t skip the honey! It balances out the tart taste of the apples + lemon juice and creates rich caramelization.
- Olive oil: You can never have enough olive oil in a salad because oil enhances the aroma of the other ingredients. Be sure to pick a high-quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Lemon juice: My warm apple salad uses lemon juice instead of vinegar. The citrus juice adds a bright note and keeps the apples from browning.
- Salt: I like fine sea salt to season my homemade salads.
- Chili flakes provide a burst of spiciness to the grilled apples.
Apple salad dressing
The simple apple salad dressing doesn’t require any extra ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- fine sea salt
How to make roasted apple salad
Let me show you the simple steps for how to make roasted apple salad:
Step 1: Prep apples
Firstly, core the apples and cut into 1/2 in / 1 cm slices. You can prepare the salad with peeled apples or unpeeled fruit to save time.
Step 2: Roast apples
Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C / gas mark 6. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper (baking paper). Add the sliced apples, olive oil, honey, lemon juice, and chili flakes. Toss together until the apples are well coated. Arrange in an even layer. Roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges of the apples begin to caramelize.
Step 3: Cook beets
Clean and peel the beets. Cut them in 1/8 in / 3 mm rounds and cook in salted water until tender, for about 15 minutes. Strain the beetroot and set aside to cool. If using pre-cooked produce, simply slice the beets.
Step 4: Make vinaigrette
In a small glass jar or mixing bowl, mix the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, and honey. Season with salt according to your taste.
Step 5: Assemble and serve
Add the lettuce, beets, and half of the roasted apples into a large bowl. Drizzle the vinaigrette on top and toss to combine. Garnish with the remaining grilled apples and serve immediately.
Toppings for roasted apple salad
I refuse to eat boring salads. A bowl of sad, wilted lettuce? Thanks, I’ll pass. They must be loaded with tasty ingredients to make me want to eat it. Try these fun toppings for roasted beet and apple salad to add even more flavor:
- Cheese: Apple and cheese salad is so good! Crumble blue cheese or goat cheese over the salad before serving.
- Nuts: For extra crunch, sprinkle a handful of candied pecans toasted walnuts, toasted hazelnuts, or pumpkin seeds over the apple salad recipe. I also like dried cranberries for extra sweetness.
What to serve with roasted apple salad
This caramelized apple salad recipe is perfect year-round, especially for fall, as that’s when apples are in season. Here are a few ideas of what you can serve with your grilled apple salad:
- Bread: Warm baguette, thyme focaccia, or a crunchy loaf of bread taste delicious with roasted apple salad.
- Veggies: Load up the salad with extra veggies, for example, roasted butternut squash, delicata squash, fennel fronds, or celery.
- Protein: A side of roasted chicken or fried bacon goes perfectly with crisp apples.
Can you make roasted apple salad ahead of time?
I recommend assembling the salad right before serving. But you can prep some components ahead of time so that all you have to do is toss the salad together:
- Roast the apples.
- Cook the beet.
- Mix the vinaigrette.
How long does spicy apple salad last?
Roasted apple salad tastes best fresh because the lettuce will get soggy after a while. However, you can store the roasted apples and cooked beet in airtight containers refrigerated for up to 3 days.
How to store leftover grilled apple salad
If you must, store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 day. You may have to drain the salad if it draws water.