This salad with honey roasted apples and beetroot perfectly captures the flavors of autumn. We roasted the apples with honey, olive oil, and chili flakes to bring out their natural sweetness and add a little piquancy. Instead of creating a fancy vinaigrette, we limited the ingredients for the dressing to more olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve this salad as an entrée or as light main course with warm baguette.
More Apple and Harvest Inspired Dishes
- 500 g (about 2 to 3) beetroots
- 3 (approx. 250 g / 1/4 lb) juicy apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 500 g (1 lb) lettuce, washed and drained. We used a mix of frisée and radicchio, chard (silverbeet/mangold), lamb’s lettuce, beet greens, arugula and purslane.
- 3 tbsp creamy or clear honey
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- Cook the beetroot. Clean and peel the beetroots. Cut them in 3mm (1/8 in) slices and cook in salted water until tender, for about 15 minutes. Strain the beetroot and set aside to cool.
- Roast the apples. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F / gas mark 6). In a shallow, heatproof baking dish combine the apples, honey and 4 tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle with the chili flakes, brown sugar and a generous pinch of salt. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until the edges of the apples begin to caramelize.
- Mix the salad. In a large mixing bowl or salad dish, mix the remaining 4 tbsp olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste. Add the lettuce, beet roots and half of the roasted apples and toss to combine. Garnish with the remaining apples and serve immediately.